PDA

View Full Version : OCD

Tab (Guest)
18-09-02, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know about OCD, how common it is and what factors are with predisposing a foal to this...what checks can be done to rule it out...etc etc

HorseMad NZer (Guest)
19-09-02, 03:00 AM
Read down this board and read "Osteochondritis or OCD" posted by myself.

Since I started this post, the horse has had a further 2 operations. She is the extreme case though, nothing like it ever sighted before. Do read articles on the internet, talk to your vet, talk to any vets who are reputable, and make up your own mind. The internet articles are very informative and quite favourable for operation success :)

Xrays are the best way to determine OCD. I personally will never buy another youngster or any horse that hasn't shown at least 6 months problem-free under saddle without having xrays done of stifles or hocks. I believe OCD is more common than we realise - but doesn't always cause a problem for the horse.

Good luck in your research :)

Tab (Guest)
19-09-02, 05:12 AM
Great, thanks heaps for that.....I was beginning to think I'd never get a reply!!!!

Another OCD (Guest)
16-11-02, 05:32 AM
Oh NZ....i'm sorry to hear your girl has had more operations.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

On a positive note our boy (whom i told you about) was broken in four months ago and is going really well with no sign of a problem. The vets are rapt !

AHREA (Guest)
16-07-03, 07:12 AM
I have a web address which will be of great interest to you.
Please email me as I am not currently at home and the address is.

AHREA@bigpond.com

Dutch
22-07-03, 11:35 AM
OCD is hereditary, feed related and exercise related. KER are holding a conference in Sydney next month that covers OCD and other topics. It sounds as if it would be good if all breeders could go as they would be more aware about OCD and therefore produce less OCD offspring. This would be very good for the customer.

Tori
25-07-03, 06:13 AM
There are a number of excellent publications about OCD. As the last post said KER are holding a Conference in Sydney. This would be wonderful to go to.

I attended an invite only seminar for workers of KER and Ridley 2 years ago and it was extremely informative.

I would ring KER and they can explain it all to you and give you some publications. There are a few good nutrition books out there as well.