PDA

View Full Version : gelding a colt

tracey (Guest)
20-10-02, 11:29 AM
Is there anyone that has gelded a colt at the age of 2 because he was nasty and a biter, did it help? I have one that when you go to feed him he lays his ears back at you and when you walk to his feed bin that is in the paddock he follows you with them back.

kylie27 (Guest)
25-10-02, 09:06 AM
Hi Tracey,

Not sure how experienced you are with colts/stallions but I assume this is your first, correct?

Most 2yo will nip - just like puppies do. However, it is wise to get them out of this habit before it stops being a baby thing and gets too nasty.

I own a 2yo colt and he has a lovely, sweet nature. However, occassionally he does get a little over-excited and will nip if he is feeling a little full of himself. Not nasty, but I do not tolerate it. I don't know how you feel about slapping a horse on the muzzle, but I feel this is the best way of stopping them IMHO. I do it very quickly and sharply, right across the muzzle immediately after the nip. The noise of the slap and the action is worse than the actual slap itself. You MUST be quick and you must act immediately. Do not dither or he will think it is a game and will try and anticipate your slap next time around and will be ready to dodge you! I also find that after a slap on the muzzle I tend to rant and rave and stamp my feet and look like a complete moron. It makes them back off slightly (I heard that if you can make a horse back off out of your personal space you are showing you are leader) and they may stare at you bug eyed ( and that includes anyone watching you!) but they will think twice about it next time! I have used this with all my babies and not one of them bit again.

With the laying back of the ears - he is trying to show you he is boss here. Again, you need to show HIM you are the boss and if he lays his ears back at you, puff yourself up and walk purposely towards him until he backs off. Be very careful doing this - some younguns will come right back at you, so keep your wits with you at all times and read that horses expression. I am only very small and lightly built, so what I tend to do is I will swing around suddenly (much like a horse in a herd situation) the minute they start to try and get one over me and I will start to stomp and walk directly at the horse until it backs off. Then once it has backed off I will stand my ground, wait for the ears to come forward and then do what I was doing previously, such as putting the feed down or walking away etc. Biting is a very bad vice and you MUST be firm with him. I doubt gelding will make much difference if it is something that is not stopped straight away. I know plenty of geldings that nip. It may help calm him down but the main thing is that you have to teach him that you are the boss, not him.

Then once he has stopped being evil, I simply wander over, give him or her a pat and walk off. Just a simple pat and a smile to show him that he has done a good thing. And quietly walk away. he will learn he likes the "nice" you and not the "mean" you and will try and keep on your good side.

Just remember though, all horses are individuals and what works on one horse will not work on all of them. Just be firm, and do not allow him to treat you like this. I am sure you will find a solution. Keep us posted and good luck.

Alex (Guest)
28-10-02, 12:36 AM
Tracey, your colt does need gelding, whether he is 2 or 8.

At the stable I work for we used to have a colt, who was, at 2, the King of the Box. If you entered his box, he's kick, bite and even tried to mount that person.

One day the owners were at the stable seeing "prized one", and the trainer had not been listening to our continuous rants to have the bloke gelded until the King decided to play up in front of the owners, where he fell over on his back, and got up and started lashing out, which is what changed everything.

Came back as a gelding, and was completely a placid creature. You would never have guessed it was the same animal.

Michelle
07-11-02, 03:14 AM
Hi Tracey,

We have a lovely buckskin Q-horse gelding we have raised him from a baby and he thinks he is a human.
Before he was gelded he was becoming a bit of a problem, he would chase anyone in his paddock (just to play) he would rear and bite if he didn't want to go where you wanted him to and he would try to mount the horse you were riding if you went into his paddock.
We only had him gelded about a year ago, he is about 5-6 now so we had him put under anaesthetic by a vet.
It all went really well and he recovered really quick.
Now you wouldn't know he was the same horse! he is pleasant (still a bit pushy), but dosen't bite and just loves to be cuddled.
With horses that bite: I went to a 'Monty Roberts' seminar once and asked him what to do about a biting horse, he told me that if you kick a horse in the shin (not too hard) as soon as he goes to bite you he will get such a shock from this unexpected reaction he will immediately forget about wanting to bite you.
This method works I have found as an alternative to a smack on the nose.
It needs to be done as soon as the bite is attempted and it won't take long before he forgets about wanting to bite you.
I would love to hear how you go with your colt so please email me and tell me how you go....

Cheers :D

tracey (Guest)
09-11-02, 06:59 AM
Hi Michelle thanks for your reply,i am having him gelded today i am a bit worried because some people say they never change. I have never had one gelded at this age to know if they change or not. I have not had one like this he is so bossy when it comes to food. He may not have been handled properly as a yearling he seems to have a grudge with people.

Michelle
09-11-02, 10:59 AM
Tracey,

Good to hear that you are taking the step to get him gelded, I am sure that he will be just fine!
It was interesting with our Q-horse, when we had him cut the vet had to operate because there was nothing showing on the outside ( if you know what I mean....)
I am curious if many other people have had colts with testicles that take a long time to drop??

Cheers

Michelle

missys_girl (Guest)
12-11-02, 06:09 PM
hey michelle(hehe my name aswell)
go to the eques forum, there is a thread about it, i know nothing about it myself, but you can start in the convo and the ones in the know will help ya.
apparntly its a genetic fault or something like that, go to the
"its a(nother) buy" thread, and just post on it

Michelle
13-11-02, 08:08 AM
Hey thanks Missy! :D