PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Mares

LNR (Guest)
09-12-02, 07:27 AM
Hi All,

Am hoping to access some of the knowledge available here. We have 2 maiden mares to serve, our own mares, but over the last 3 years we have only served with our experienced mares.

When we are teasing these 2 I'm trying to allow them to go to the stallion in their own time and let them lead me, so to speak. One is definitely in season, but she panicks when he touches her over the serving rail and lashes out. I am trying to allow as long as needed to tease her, but I am concerned for when I bring her around the other side of the serving rail that either:

A. she will perhaps injure the stallion or my husband, or
B. pull back and get away from me and perhaps injure herself.

The stallion is only with us temporarily, and once these 2 are in foal he can go back home, and my feed bill can reduce a little.

The stallion is being exceedingly co-operative, he is being very 'nice' and not at all scary as perhaps our other stallion would be to a maiden.

Any thoughts on how to make this as 'pleasant' as possible for all involved? We are located on the Far South Coast of NSW.

Thanks,

Leigh

Cyberfoal.com (Guest)
14-12-02, 06:57 PM
I have found the stronger the maiden is in season the quicker she will breakdown and accept the stallion.These mares take longer to tease to bring them to this stage and should be done at the stallion stall, once the mare is showing strong both can be lead to the breeding area. Some breeders choose to leave both alone and work it out for themselves, others prefer to control the situation by walking both anti-clockwise and allowing the stallion to approach from the near side, continuing this motion allows handlers an idea to the mares reaction of the stallions presence and keeps him from being kicked, although padded boots can be applied to the mares hind feet.A twitch can be used when the decision to allow the stallion to mount. Some mares will accept the stallion providing enough time has been given together. Others my jump foreward and it is important to keep the stallion close as he will make the decision when to mount. Injuries occur when the stallion is allowed to approach from the rear and the mare does not see him or they have not been given enough time to accept each others presence. Good Luck.