PDA

View Full Version : Phantom pregnancy

Michelle (Guest)
09-02-03, 09:50 AM
I have a 9 year old tb mare who i tried to put in foal last year. She was served at the end of february and confirmed in foal (this was to be her first foal). She had previously been very irregular with coming in season, and around 2 months later came in season. My vet took a blood test and the results showed she was not in foal. So I have continued to work and compete her and in the last two months whilst being in light work she has grown increasingly very fat. Despite being on a diet from her daily feed and having not much grass on the ground she has not lost any weight- if anything her belly has expanded still- getting lower towards the back of her belly. In the last day one of her teats has swollen and I am wondering if, although already 2 weeks over due- if she could still possibly be in foal and any signs I should look out for. Thanks

galleon01
10-03-03, 07:36 PM
Hey hang about, this mare of yours quite possibly she may be in foal, as some mares will carry a foal for over 12 months and still have a live birth, the longest on record was 14 months with a normal delivery.
I have an arabian mare, whom was very poor when I bought her, but within 2 months she had a cresty neck, but still skinny, with good food, her belly suddenly enlarged, I contacted her prevfious owner, who said no she was not in foal, as her Vet had said he gave her a manual examination, also a blood test, but hey ho, she produced a beautiful chestnut filly.
I also have a T.B Mare who had a phantom pregnancy last year, went all through the signs of having a foal, even to the muscles sinking on her croup. No foal, but however, she was served that same day as the Vet said she was in szeason and ready to ovulate, within 20 mins, she was covered by my T.B.Stallion, and has been scanned in foal. She is nearly 5 months gone.
But back to your mare, if she has enlarged teats,DON't ride her.
wAIT AND SEE, SHE MIGHT PAW THE GROUND, OR BECOME BAD TEMPERED, IF SHE HAS DROPPED IN THE BELLY, SHE COULD WELL FOAL, IT IS very rare FOR A MAIDEN MARE TO HAVE A PHANTOM PREGNANCY.
Usually only more common in a broodmare who has had foals previously and hopes she is in foal.
And by the way, Vets can and sometimes are WRONG.
You should not ride a suspected pregnant mare after 5 months of her pregnancy, as rough ground or a stumble could cause her to abort, or worse rupture her womb, so causing her DEATH.

Good luck anyway, perhap's she has had a foal by now, if not, then this season put her to stud again. Are you breeding for pleasure, or racing. I live in S.A. andmy own stallion is named "RED GALLEON" 16h.2" Red Chestnut, very fast, with a long raking stride. He is in The Australian Studbook.
by Semitime out of Redlua, by Rough'n'Tumble by Better Boy.

His Sire's sire is Semipalatinsk.

Stud fee $500 introductory fee only.LFG

Bye for now. Valerie.10.3.03

Lily
11-03-03, 08:20 AM
Hmmmm...Now this post is a month old - do we have any news of a baby or not????????

rhonda (Guest)
27-04-03, 12:37 PM
i had a mare whom i thought was in foal she did not ovulate regularly, was all over the place, anyway i served her had her ultrasound and the vet said no foal,i got home threw her down the back paddock for about ten and a half months and then noticed she was very fat bought her up put her in the yard and one week later a beautiful filly. so even ultrasounds can be wrong. she sounds as if she is in foal to me, dont ride her, she will get very big in the udders and drop off at the hindquarters and start pawing at the ground.