PDA

View Full Version : Pinto: What should I breed her with

GabbyW
28-07-03, 09:43 AM
I own a Pinto mare and would like to see if I can get her in foal. The problem is, that I don't have any history whatsoever of what she was bred from. Any suggestions on what type of horse I should cross her with would be appreciated. I would like to breed a foal that will be eventually used for pleasure riding so temprement and build is more important than great bloodlines. Could I use another pinto, paint or would a quarter horse do just as well.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

sil
29-07-03, 02:04 AM
My honest advice? Don't.

It is a lot cheaper, and a lot less painful, to get out and buy the foal or horse you want, than to attempt to breed it from your mare.

Even if everything goes all right, you still need to be in a position to handle a young foal into a young horse, and to be able to recognise signs of illness when it is a baby.

Things that can happen (and that I have experienced) include having to nurse a foal the mother won't feed (5 or 6 times a day until they are 3 months thankyou), dealing with the runs, and resisting the urge to over handle foals. I know of people who have not known when the mare was due, and foals suffocating in the caul.

But I want a foal from my mare, you say. That's lovely - but make no bones about it there is a lot of things that happen between that, and the disney picture of a mare and foal in the paddock.

Hartz
29-07-03, 07:18 AM
I agree with Sil on this one. As nice as it is to have your own foal there are so many things other than the actual baby that need to be considered.

It is much easier... if you want a young horse to bring up yourself..... to buy one off someone as a weanling.

Alisha

ziggy
22-09-03, 02:35 PM
i also agree with sil i have been breeding for 18 years and believe me when weaning time comes you have to have the proper facilities and they are a lot more work than it looks.