PDA

View Full Version : keeping a mare in milk

KB
01-01-04, 05:56 AM
What is a good feed to keep a mare in milk as she finds it hard to keep up milk supply in summer, last season she weaned the foal at 3 months this years foal is now 2 months old and i would like to keep it on her until a least 4 months.

Jodie
01-01-04, 02:26 PM
I have a pony mare whose foals I have previously weaned at 4 months because the mare was not doing well. This year I have her sharing a paddock with my TB mare who is on steam flaked barley and lucerne chaff, so I feed the pony mare the same. Her foal this year is very tall, and so far the mare is doing well and the foal is not getting overly fat. She is about 8 weeks old now.

This mare would milk up plenty, but she would use up her last ounce of fat to feed her foal if you let her. Not sure about actually keeping the mare's supply up.

sil
01-01-04, 04:31 PM
All our mares are on grass and hay only in a band, so if one mare needs a supplementary feed, we usually give a concentrated hard feed once or twice a day.

The feed is quite intensive about 50/50 chaff and concentrate made of rolled barley, soaked fava beans, sweet feed, full fat soya meal and added soaked pollard.

However I must say that some mares are just poor milkers. If you really want to, you can always bucket milk the foal for a couple of months after, twice a day.

Appylover
02-01-04, 09:17 AM
We feed our mares with foals at foot on Mitavite Breeda, lucerne chaff and oaten chaff and they stay in excellent condition until those foals are weaned at 5 months. They have access to pasture and we feed hay if the paddocks are dry and there is not enough there. Our foals have grown well and the mares have kept condition. It is so important for lactating mares to be fed properly if their needs are not being met on the paddock.

toscalloyd
15-01-04, 07:50 AM
Mitavite breeda and lucerne chaff are what has worked for me in the past. I leave my foals on until they are at least 10 to 12 months old. I give the foals access to the feed at the 3 month mark. If extra help is needed i give the mares boiled barely as well.