PDA

View Full Version : yearling knee swelling

Steve
18-02-04, 04:16 AM
I have a yearling which has developed swelling in an upper front knee region.

Have been told this is due to recent accelerated growth and is centred around the growth plate in the knee. Can anyone tell me how this is best treated and how long it should take before going away?

Have been told there is no real long term harm from this affliction, and she is being put on a special diet to slow her development until it goes away.

Is this treatment sufficient? Should she be vetted?

Appylover
18-02-04, 05:34 AM
Steve, if I were you I would certainly have her looked at by a Vet. She is only young and its better to have expert advice I think. She could have knocked herself or had a fall. I would have it checked out.

Steve
18-02-04, 05:49 AM
Thanks and yes i think we will have to.

It is definitely not from a knock however, the name of the problem starts with "A".... thats all I can remember....hope that helps someone explain more about it!?

LisaL
05-03-04, 05:21 AM
Steve, get the vet to have a look, as its the long term soundness of the horse that can be compromised if its not something that will 'just go away'.

Also, ensure that you run your youngsters thin rather than fat - you should always see ribs on youngsters - again your vet should be able to help you with optimimum feeding levels, although there is a lot of information out there.

l
10-04-04, 02:33 PM
get the vet ocd or dod that a sh*t

DD
10-04-04, 05:50 PM
Don't run young horses thin or fat. They need adequite nutrition to grow properly and develop strong bone. You should be able to just see the ribs and feel them easily. but they should not look pot bellied or undernourished in any way. There are many people who go too far in the keep them thin line of thinking and they end up with undernourished and weak boned young horses. This can be just as bad as over feeding them.

Roseraie
11-04-04, 06:30 AM
Hi Steve
I think you mean Epiphysitis? May have sounded like it started with "A" ?
Physitis or Epiphystitis is fairly common in rapidly growing youngsters. This is the term used to describe abnormal activity or growth in a growth plate - usually the lower growth plate of the radius.
There is usually swelling and heat just above the knee and can occur in one or both forelegs. The horses are not always lame but maybe stiff and the area will be painful if pressure is applied.
Prognosis is good and treatment involves confining the horse if it is lame and restricting the diet and ensuring a correct calcium/phosphorus ratio.
Steve as your original post was some time ago hopefully all is well now and your baby can continue on its path to its future career
All the Best
Helen