PDA

View Full Version : We need a foster mum

Sandy Galbraith
25-02-04, 06:56 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and friends of mine have a maiden mare that won't accept her baby. The foal is in the Lowood/Minden area of Queensland and if anyone is able to help, we would be really greatful. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but, the mare was an orphan at 8 weeks after her mum died from a snakebite.

Thanks
Sandy

EA
27-02-04, 03:06 AM
What have your friends done to try and encourage the mare to accept the foal. Many Maidens dont have a clue what to do with their first foals, sometimes you just need to twitch them and let the foal suckle for a few times so the mare can get the idea.

Having the foal suckle can sometimes be quite uncomfortable and they need to get over this, sometimes just restraining them helps.

Appylover
28-02-04, 01:43 AM
Yes Sandy, I agree with EA. Some maiden mares just don't know, last September we had a maiden mare foal and she did not know the first thing about looking after this little wet wobbly thing beside her! The little colt would wander off and she would not even be worried about him, luckily we were there watching and waiting to see if she would bond with him. He made all efforts to follow his Mum around and find the udder but the mare just kept walking away, and this is when we decided to step in. We caught her and made her stand still while he fumbled his way around and when he suckled, she was not happy. But yes, restraint can work, it did for us. We locked her up with him in the round yard for the night and watched them carefully for quite a few hours later just to be sure he was drinking okay. More so, to make sure she was letting him drink. All went well.
Hope all is okay with the new baby. Keep us updated.