PDA

View Full Version : Wie Weltmeyer

Kylie
27-02-04, 11:34 AM
Please Help?

I am really wanting to use Wie Weltmeyer this season and cant find any one with information on the fertility of his frozen semen. If any one has any information on him I would much appreciate it.

Thanks

kt
28-02-04, 02:30 AM
Why not ask the people that distribute his semen in Aust:
http://waterviewpark.alphalink.com.au/

Or ask on this o/s forum:
http://wwwarmbloods.com/index.html

Or e-mail the owner of him:
http://www.brookhousestud.com/

sharyn
28-02-04, 02:43 AM
i looked at using him last season, and decided agaist it as i could not find enough information about his success. he hasn't done a lot of breeding, so getting information has proved to be quite difficult!!

he truly is a real spunk of a stallion, and i would not hesitate using him. he looks like he would be a great cross for thoroughbred mares, or a very leggy mare (like most weltmeyers he has shortish legs!!)

contact sheree at waterview park, she was a great help to me when i was looking at him. they also have a video with some nice footage of him. she told me that they only sold one service 2002 season, and while the mare failed to conceive, the semen looked quite good. apparently mare owner decided to hold off for a better season.

good luck!! :-)

giggles
28-02-04, 02:40 PM
well I would be very careful using this stallion. As we did the season before last without success. Lots of trouble with semen as it exploded and was not packaged properly, after much trouble it was finally replaced (12 months)and I wasn't very happy with the service. so be wary........ good luck

DD
29-02-04, 12:14 AM
Giggles you must have been very unlucky as from what I have been told Waterview Park have been happy to replace any semen that explodes when being thawed, so that you still get your set number of insemination doses. I heard his semen was of very good quality. You just need to be careful when thawing it. Wie Weltmeyer is a lovely stallion, I would use him but my mares are not the right type for him.

giggles
29-02-04, 10:33 AM
I would like to know whether you are a vet??? also by the way you stated it sounds like it happens quite a lot with Waterview Park semen. Our vet has never had this happen over the 12 years she has been performing AI,and also we had one of the best vets to perform this . She was one of the first ones in Australia to do the frozen semen so I do think they would know the correct proceedure. Also it was the way it was collected ( from stallion to container) that was the problem and not the way it was thawed. Yes we think that Wie Weltmeyer is a nice stallion, but if you haven't used this particular stallion I don't know how you could comment. Wie Weltmeyer was the only stallion that his semen was collected from a particular British based vet. And that was the problem also. Then there was the big problem sorting all of this out. which we were unable to use this mare last breeding season because no-one wanted to replace this semen.

DD
29-02-04, 12:07 PM
giggles if you are talking to me, then no I am not a vet. The only semen that does this that I am aware of is the Wie Weltmeyer semen. Not all of his explode when thawed so you just need to be careful and when you have enough thawed for a dose you can use it and it is ment to be very good. As Waterview Park have told me that if I chose to buy his semen they would supply enough semen to get my set number of doses even after any loses during thawing I don't see that the fact that some straws being lost is going to be a problem for anyone. I have purchased other semen (frozen and chilled) from Waterview Park and have found them to be very good to deal with.
What area is your vet located? This is just curiosity - don't answer if you don't want to.

giggles
29-02-04, 01:18 PM
I have also purchased other semen too and never had any trouble. I'm not sure whether you read about how long the vet that I use has been doing AI, She does horses such as Jamison, Monopol, a lot of IHB, she also has a lot of John Farnham horses there too not to mention horse from overseas ( Arabia, Germany, America and all over)so I do think that she would know what she is doing when it comes to AI, and that is fine how they will provide the straws until the mare is positive preg tested, costs money and then again that would be saying something don't you think and not to mention the extra cost involved, eg; vet bills, agistment, transport etc. My vet is located in NSW

DD
01-03-04, 12:36 AM
If you are talking about Miriam at Mullengandra and it sounds like it. She is an AI tech not a vet. I chose not to travel my horses to her as she is not allowed to give any injections - how can you do AI without sometimes useing injectable drugs? (Preferably legally). I have spoken to her and she refuses to use Wie Weltmeyer semen. I don't see what her or your big deal is. If you are still supplied with your doses of useable semen then what is the problem. Why would their be extra vet bills if all your vet has to do is thaw more straws and still use them on the same cycle that your mare is on.

DD
01-03-04, 12:43 AM
Just one more thing Wie Weltmeyer is not LFG. You are paying for 3 insemination doses. After you have inseminated your 3 doses if you have nothing then bad luck - but you could also get 3 foals from your 3 doses!! As has hapened to many people with various different stallions.
Some years are good and some are bad. Same with some mares, some vets and some AI techs.

giggles
01-03-04, 01:49 AM
I dont' think you understand... the semen actually exploded before it was even near the mare and it was because there was not enough air left in the straw.. and as for speaking to Miriam you should ask her why ??? she will not use his semen.. and as for vet bills. it still costs money to have the mare inseminated because you do not get the semen in the same season. as I said before it took 12 months for me to get our extra semen..And I probably was the one the Waterview Park was talking about, that the mare did not fall in ( she didn't even get a chance) And I don't know where you get that she is not allowed to give injections from???? And yes I know she is not a vet but she is very good in what she does ONE OF THE BEST. I would love to talk with you about this on the phone or privately

Kay Harding
02-03-04, 07:08 AM
Kylie

The info I heard on Wie Weltmeyer is that the semen was not stored correctly and therefore not viable. Try another stallion. HE is lovely though!!

Dutch
02-03-04, 02:06 PM
Kay the semen has been stored just fine it was the collection that was at fault just as giggles said. Therefore some straws will explode during thawing - but not all. So just as DD has said if enough semen is supplied then just keep thawing until you have a dose thawed and then inseminate.
Kylie instead of reading all of this secondhand info ring Sheree or email her and ask. She has the semen for sale and would be the most accurate sorce of information. If you like the stallion enough go to the suppliers of the semen. Wie Weltmeyer is doing extremely well in competition at the moment and would have to be the best performed Weltmeyer son that is available in Australia.

joordy
07-03-04, 10:21 AM
Thankyou so much for your help, I really want to use him this coming season, I just need to find out the motility of his semen after thawing.

joordy
07-03-04, 10:33 AM
thankyou for the information, who is the supplier if it is brookhouse stud I cant get access to there website or email, I dont know what is going on, I am serous about using him but need to know the motility of his semen on thawing, my mare will be only 5 at the moment she is in foal to Grandkavalier and due to foal October so her fertility will be fine, thankyou

Dutch
07-03-04, 10:43 AM
KB here is the website of the Australian distributer
http://waterviewpark.alphalink.com.au
Sheree Scott's contact details will be on the website. Good luck making your decision it can be hard to decide which stallion to use.