PDA

View Full Version : late foals

blitz
12-03-04, 10:29 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had a foal April or later and if so what are their experiences? And no we didn't plan this one it was Murphy! Anyway as I have not experienced having a foal this late I'd appreciate any tid bits of info. Thanks in advance

jenny
15-03-04, 06:50 AM
the mare might not come out of season untill right at the end of the breeding season.
Maizen mare can stay in season up to late march or so.
but i am sorry i have never heard of a foal born in april.

Cate
16-03-04, 02:58 AM
My friend had one last season, very late..... a June foal from what had been a twice vet checked maiden mare. They didn't know she was in foal and she was lease out as a riding horse. The people who leased her woke up one morning to a foal in the paddock in June. Foal was fine, and she got a weatherbeeta dog rug for the foal and it worked great, foal is healthy and fine.

EA
16-03-04, 01:49 PM
Last year we had several foals born in April, even one as late as July. They are fine, the foals were a bit smaller than normal for these mares, but basically we had no problems with them. We use dog rugs for these late ones if the weather is really bad, otherwise we just stable them with their mums over winter. You just need to make sure the food intake for the mare is very high as she will have to keep warm as well a feed the foal