PDA

View Full Version : colt that have no testicles

maree
15-03-04, 06:45 AM
hi i brought a colt from Western Austalia 3 months ago and i got the vet out because a friend notice that he has not droped his tescticles.
the vet agree that he is not a full colt.
it will cost me $2000 to geld him so i rang the breeder to tell her and the horse i brought was misprestented to me and i asked her to pay frm the gelding cost.
is the right?

kylie
20-03-04, 07:35 AM
Why would it cost so much to geld him?

Kassie
20-03-04, 11:44 PM
If the testicles are retained then you need to enter the adominal cavity to remove them.
Did you not get him vet checked before buying him... this would have told you if he had retained testicles, and you would never have brought him. Or allowed you to put a condition on hte sale if they weren't present at hte time. The other possibility is that the testicles are through the ingural (sp??) ring and he is just holding them quite high, in which case they will drop back down in time... how old is the colt?

Laverne
22-03-04, 12:00 AM
Sounds like you didn't have a vet check done prior to purchasing the colt, and although there's no law that says you must do that, without it, you take the risks. I can't see how you are holding the vendor responsible for the problem you now have, and I can't think of any legal way you will be able to force the vendor to pay the large costs you have quoted.

My concerns are for the colt himself, as if the surgery to successfully geld him is going to be expensive, and you can't or won't pay for it, what will happen to him?

Dutch
22-03-04, 12:21 PM
It would depend on how the colt was originally advertised. If he was advertised as a possible stud prospect then you would have a claim on the previous owners, as a colt with perminately retained (undecended) testicle/s is not a suitable stud prospect. Cryptorchidism is hereditary. It may also be worthwhile finding out if this is a problem in others of his breeding.
On the other hand. If your colt is only young it may be worth while wating as some colts do not let their testicles down fully until they are 12 to 18 months old, some even as late as 2 years old. But most colts will have their testicles down by 12 months of age.

sandie
03-04-04, 04:47 PM
If I was you I would be taking the colt to have an ultrasound done to see if the testicles are retained or if they just haven't dropped yet at least then you will have more of an idea of which direction to go, and I agree with the other poster that unless the colt was advertised as a stud prospect you realy have no leg to stand on and to buy a horse today without a vet check is not a wise thing to do

Lisa Wright
10-04-04, 01:35 PM
Your in big trouble with that horse
the breeder would have to be blind on to have seen that I am very sorry to hear
I hope all goes well!
Crytorchid - inguinal testis (aprox. total cost)$590
Crytorchid - abdominal (aprox.total cost)$990
The cost goes up with age of the horse weight size and stuff
then after care
I am very sorry cancer is a problem too if left