PDA

View Full Version : another colour question while we're

Teknicolour
25-03-04, 04:17 PM
This colour debate is very interesting

Now here's my question:

What are all the possible outcomes of crossing a dapple grey to a black?? I only know their phenotypes (I love learning the jargon!!)
and I'm not too sure of both horse's parentage.

I DID try reading researching this but all the information regarding grey colour genetics was VERY confusing!!

EA
26-03-04, 02:35 AM
Grey is a dominant colour so you are most likely to get grey. Without knowing the parents and the other colours the grey could carry, it is hard to say.

Black is a pretty hard colour to breed for.

Dapple grey is just a horse turning grey, in a few years the dapples will disappear.

Just for some stats I have a grey colt, out of 7 foals he has thrown 6 greys and 1 chestnut.

Jodie
26-03-04, 03:27 AM
There is a 50% chance that a foal from this mating will turn grey.
Otherwise, without knowing the base colour of the grey, or even the breed of the horses in question, you could end up with any unbroken colour except for cremello or perlino.

Dutch
26-03-04, 06:20 AM
You need to know what color the grey was born and whether there are two grey genes or one. If the grey is homozygous then all foals will be grey. If the grey is heterozygous then you have a 50% chance of grey. But you really need to know what color the grey was born to go any further as they could have a dilute gene or bay, brown, chestnut, tobino, overo etc. It is very hard to give you an accurate chance on the possible colors that you could get.

Teknicolour
02-04-04, 07:31 PM
The mare (X)a TB is dapple grey born brown.

X's sire is a bay TB

X's dam is an ? TB

I am thinking of putting her to a black WB stallion by:

Donnerhall (liver chestnut, Oldenburg)

This is as much info as I have so far...

Dutch
02-04-04, 11:57 PM
You have a chance of the foal being born brown, black, or possibly chestnut if the mare carries it and all of these colors have a 50% chance of going grey as the mare only has the one grey gene. I hope this has helped.

Bats_79
06-04-04, 04:00 PM
I have a mare who is byt a grey stallion out of a black mare. She has had 8 foals by stallions of different colours and every one was grey. How do you know if a horse is homozygous?

Dutch
06-04-04, 11:49 PM
To be homozygous for grey your mare would have to have two grey parents. As your mare has one black parent and one grey parent she must be heterozygous. You have been very unlucky to get all grey progeny but it can happen.