PDA

View Full Version : Stallion training

DON
30-03-04, 04:53 AM
PLEASE HELP! The staliion I bought a few weeks ago was a beautiful quiet creature. Now its like he's possessed! He will let me brush him one day the next he charges at you to chase you out of the yard.

I am in SA and wonder if anyone knows of a good trainer that could teach him some respect. He's 10yo arab X. I dont know if its him that needs teaching or me.

Bonnie
30-03-04, 08:56 AM
Don, I suggest you post both this query and the one regarding your biting filly in the general section of CBH. You may receive more assistance than you appear to be here.

I think it is possibly you who needs some help to learn how to handle your wayward ponies. But I feel, perhaps you already realise that. :-)

kat
30-03-04, 12:59 PM
Don what is your email address if you are south of Adelaide i would loke to come and see your stallion and see how you handle him and others.

Prado
30-03-04, 04:18 PM
Don
Welcome to the club of the "grumpy old men's committee"! Many factors could be influencing your stallions behaviour. Think of answers to the following:
Have you changed the diet this stallion is on - are you now feeding him 'high octane' giving him too much energy level?
Does he have other stallions in close proximity?
Does he have mares in close proximity?

We went through similar behaviour with our young colt last year. Initially you couldnt ask for a milder mannered boy, then approx 6 weeks later turned into a monster, and believe me, I was ready to castrate him myself one evening after he tried crashing post & rail fences and demolishing 3 rugs in minutes. Luckily, my husband caught him (for his safety from me!) and locked him in the stable complex.

The next day, I revamped his diet taking him to a basic energy level. Now he is on only breeder, equibix, equilibrium, oaten and lucern chaff and unlimited grassy hay. It took about 3 weeks to detox him and once again he is as pleasant as a lamb to the point where my young children can lead him around.

He is not fazed by the older stallion at all ( as he hasnt served yet - being only 4). He can see mares but has a lovely 9hh gelding pony in the paddock beside him for company.

For your own safety whilst you are bonding, wear a helmet at all times. Keep a sturdy & strong halter on him. Make a habit of taking a lead rope with you and catching him when entering his property and never turn your back on him, even when filling the feed tin.

I know this will make some 'non stallion' handlers angry, but also keep a length of poly pipe handy near the yard. If he charges you, use it to snap him with. It makes noise but doesnt really hurt them at all ( unlike a whip). Each day, teach him to face you and allow you to approach and clip the lead rope on, then lead him around. Make him stand square. If need be, put an anti rearing bit on him and only give a slight pull to remind him you want respect. Dont yank it hard, just enough to remind. Stallions, like other horses need to learn "human personal space".

There is a book by Tom Roberts on breaking and handling a young colt, but these same principles can be applied to an older stallion too. They are territorial in nature and habits and if left go inrestrained can become ripe bulls to handle. Dont be afraid to chastise them. If they learn you fear them, they will have little to no respect for you.

Another tip to remember is, the bridle or halter you use on him when serving a mare, NEVER use it for other times. They become very aware of their correct 'dress' when ready for sex. My older stallion has a bridle/halter for the normal everyday handling and a special one for serving and believe me, when that one goes on he KNOWS what is about to come his way - indicated by his behaviour. Quiet funny really - its his element of foreplay!

Feel free to post more questions here. I would like to know specific behaviour of your stallion and see if I can help.
Cheers
Prado

Don
31-03-04, 04:29 AM
Bonnie
Yes I feel it could be me I was always great with all animals but since having my daughter I wonder if my brain keeps saying what if?

don
31-03-04, 04:32 AM
KAT
Thanks for replying I am actually north of Adelaide.
My email Is ozpawz@msn.com
Look forward to hearing from you.

Don
31-03-04, 04:53 AM
Thanks Prado for you input.
I must admit the first time the stallion charged me made me nervous.
He was in a paddock for approximately 3 years without much handling.
I bought him sight unseen from a deceased estate.
He is gorgeous.13hh liver chestnut.
I have 2 mares and a filly that can move freely past him. He has a double fencing line between them and a teasing railwhich the mares dont have free access to.
I put him on equi-jewel 300gms per day(between 2 feeds), lucerne chaff and approx 200gms of oats. He doesnt like apples or carrots. Hes also on 2 biscuits of oaten hay in the morning and 1-2 per night.
If hes eating his bucket feed I can almost do anything to him without him tied. If hes eating hay beware.
I have been making friends slowly across the fence line he will sniff me and let me stroke his neck, clean his eyes and nostrils without a problem but after a while he gets his old fella out and gives me a nudge.
Ive had to take his halter off to heal some callous type sores he had on the bridge of his nose and beside his ear.
I will give it a few more days and do as you say, put the halter on and tie him before he is fed. I can lean over the fence and feed him without an issue he waits until his feeds in the bin to dig in.
I had thought of using the poly pipe previously but found yesterday that even picking a stick up made him take a step back not that thats a way I like to make friends.
I do want to retrain him for the bit, as a 2year old I know he was shown successfully in hand I was not sure what the best avenue of retraining would be.
I will endeavour to find the Tom Roberts book you mentioned.
My email address is ozpawz@msn.com if you would like to talk privately.
Hopefully hear from you soon.

Aby
31-03-04, 04:56 AM
Stallions are a very different animal to handle to the average riding horse. I suspect he has you completely bluffed. Having handled Arab Stallions I think you really need to be firm and consistent with them. "Give them an inch and they will take a mile". You are doing the right thing by getting a handler on to him as soon as possible, as this problem could really escalate.

bc
01-04-04, 09:29 AM
Hi Don,

It sounds like you have brought Driesen Three Cheers! Would I be correct? He is a loverly pony who I had seen on a couple of occassions. I also have a b group ASSP mare who is 8yo and looking for her future partner to have a foal with next season.

I also agreed with the polypipe idea. I know many studs who use it as an excellent respect reminder tool as it makes a big noise but does not hurt the horse. I also use it for youngsters when they begin to get a smart attitude (not foals thought). I have three horses all of which I have a very good relationship with and they all canter over to meet me in the paddock, however it they step out of line or try to walk over met they are quickly given a respect lesson. My other two horses are 17hh+ and just too big to not have excellent ground manners.

All the best,
Bridget.

BC
02-04-04, 02:42 AM
Bridget,

Yes it is Dreden Three Cheers. He is a beautiful animal group A ASSPS liver chestnut.
I also have a mare Group C and hopefully a D or foundation Mare. MY filly and I are now getting along she has been very spoiled and now knows her place she has 4 registrations but I dont have her papers yet to know if shes eligable for ASSPS registration.
Once Freddy has re learnt some manners he will be open next season. But I certainly have my work cut out for me.
Are you in SA Bridget?
My EMAIL is on one of the other responses if you would like it.
Don

Don
06-04-04, 05:20 AM
Stallion Training

My stallion has come along in leaps and bounds. I found a lot of his problems to be environmental and once again the quiet lamb is back.
Thankyou to everyone for their advice.

arabian2
06-04-04, 02:35 PM
Don,dont be to cocerned as the trait of a stallion is to test you to see how far he can get.I have a Arab stallion,he is quite but when i first took him to a show he tried to kill me and the judge.but he was just testing me.the point here is to be stern but fair,like any dog reward them when they have done well and repremand when they do something wrong.The only problem that i have with you getting a trainer is that you need to do this yourself otherwise he's got you beat
ARE YOU WORKING HIM EVERY DAY?

good handling
arabian2

arabian 2
08-04-04, 08:50 AM
I am trying to train him every day. Our neighbours mare is now hanging over the fence for him, although she is quite a way away he thinks she looks good and its hard to get him to listen to me then.My question is that I train him on a halter should I be getting a bit in his mouth, if so what type?

sim
15-04-04, 04:58 AM
The Tom Roberts book that was mentioned is brilliant. There are actually four books. I dont handle stallions but these books gave me the ability to be an "expert novice" horse trainer/handler. These are the four books.
Horse Control - the rider
Horse Control - the bit
Horse Control - the young horse (the one mentioned previously)
Horse Control - Reminiscences
Published by T.A and P.R Roberts
241 Richmond Rd, Richmond, South Australia 5033.
Absolutely essential reading - makes you see the horses point of view
and therefore a good trainer/handler. Recommended for all horsepeople.