PDA

View Full Version : Grannus II

zmannig
08-04-04, 09:46 AM
Hi! Has anyone had any experience with broodmares by Grannus II- I am thinking of buying one and would be grateful for any advice... Thanks!

michelle
09-04-04, 08:43 AM
Hi, Yes we have a Grannus II Mare, easy to handle, great mothers and can be very affectionate. It also depends on what the mix is with the Grannus II line, but overall brilliant breeders and usually hassell free.

zmannig
11-04-04, 01:37 AM
Thanks!

DD
11-04-04, 03:30 AM
Someone made the comment a while back that many of the Grannus II offspring windsuck. Some feel that this is hereditary and others don't. I don't know if it is or not but check closly to make sure the mare doesn't windsuck and ask the owner if she does or not. The owner is not allowed to lie about things like that, or you can take her to court and demand your money back. I hope all turns out well for you and your decision. If you buy her I hope she gives you some lovely babies.

Mary
12-04-04, 01:29 PM
Yes - I have heard as as well from a few other people in the know.
A bit of a worry, but as long as the mare has good conformation, type and movement - she should be good to breed from.

Kristine
13-04-04, 08:30 AM
Maybe there is some sort of DNA test which can be done?

georgie
15-04-04, 12:12 PM
I thought the parentage issues only related to the Klatte Stud in Germany and that there were no problems in Australia. Is this correct?

I Know
16-04-04, 02:21 PM
All Grannus offspring in Australia.....are Grannus offspring

Pleae don't Gossip

PurposeBreeding
17-04-04, 10:32 AM
Remember to do your homework regarding what type of stallions would suit a Grannus mare - they "can" be hot and if put to the wrong stallion for them you can produce a very "testy" foal/adult horse. Whatever the temperament "issues" are with the stallion the Grannus mare will heighten, so if the stallion is an "internal worrier" , the resultant foal will be a BIG internal worrier - if the stallion is laid back, the resultant foal will be almost "dead" it will be that quiet and so on. As always in breeding do your research into what sort of stallion will compliment the mare and her lines.

I Know
17-04-04, 05:36 PM
Take a look at any Grannus mare, gelding, stallion....without DNA testing they all have that particular Grannus look.
Grannus had stamped all his offspring with his trademark look.
They can however have that laid back, stubborn attitude, but then so can people and we don't hold that against them.
I saw the stallion several times and have three mares and a gelding, hes standing there in the paddock in every one of them. As for the correctness of the papers who knows. In mine it could only be the dam side that coould be dodgey.

linjellet
03-05-04, 04:03 PM
No experience here with his broodies, but I find him and his offspring to small.

LisaL
08-05-04, 01:56 AM
Jeezzzzzzz guys, this would have to be one of the most vicious nasty threads I've read in ages, just when you think Cyberhorse and the 'horse' community in general have cleaned their act up, along comes this thread. I own a Grannus 11 grandson. Its got four legs, a head, a tail, and it neighs. Thus I surmise that itís a horse just like any other horse.

Go and look at the mare. If you like the pedigree, and you like the mare - buy her. If you don't like the mare, don't buy her. Its as simple as that. Stallions go over a lot of mares, the good the bad and the downright ugly. Its not always the stallions fault. A grandparent only contributing 25% to the genetic make up of its grandget. Some stock will be so so, some will be bad and a few will be great, that's what makes breeding so difficult. To have a good breeding program, start with an excellent mare.

Have a vision of the type of horses you wish to produce, if you think this mare epitomises the type of horse you wish to produce, buy her (after doing all your checks), if she doesn't epitomise what you want, don't buy her. If you are seriously considering starting a breeding program and you want to breed quality horses, go out and look at as many Grannus 11 progeny and grand progeny as you can so that you can make an informed decision as to what traits he passed on and more importantly whether you can or cannot live with them.

The best advice I got from breeders with high & long standing international reputations was that no horse is perfect, look at the entire package and decide whether or not you like the entire package. Ensure you understand the faults so that you can feel confident about breeding around them, but look at the strength's of your breeding stock and work with those.

The perfect horse has not been born yet, and the day its born we can all pack up and go home. But at the same time, if you just buy cheap substandard stock, make sure you've got the local knackers on speed-dial.

willowtitwillow
15-05-04, 06:49 AM
Pavia Rejection is a terrible thing. You must be hurting alot seeing you posted under your real last name.

Isn't time to move on.

supercrunch
20-05-04, 11:58 AM
personally I would not recommend you to buy a Grannus broodmare. They are generally on the small side and very week through the hind qrts. For thier temprement, well I really do not think the package is worth it. If you want to buy a broodmare for your personal use, put your $ into one which has great re sale value, not Grannus11.

the truth
21-05-04, 06:38 AM
willowtitwillow you must be a bigger fool then people already think you are you belive someone would make a comment like that using their name, look around you and it is obvious who the BIG trouble maker is and my sources tell me she is off south.

Why do people spend so much time on this site trying to cut people down, i know why i ride horses and it is not to be party of those saddle club games....

Savvy
19-06-04, 06:33 AM
As LisaL pointed out stallions cover good, bad and ugly mares. The mare plays a major part in the resulting foal so if you start with an 'okay' mare there's a big chance that you will get only an 'okay' foal no matter how good the stallion is as the foal may get the ugly mare's sickle hocks.

If you breed from a really good mare and put her with a stallion that compliments her through his good breeding and conformation you are at the very least going to get a really good foal but you have a better chance of getting a horse that will go far in the right hands.

Also horses are individuals (and bloodlines can vary greatly), each one is different. Also no matter how good the horse is, even they can look bad due to lack of experience on the owner or trainers part so might be best to judge horses individually.

I might go and look at a horse with good or well known bloodlines but if it turns out to be just 'average', I would rather get the mare down the rode that has a better temperatment, education and conformation and breed from her as at the very least you will breed a foal that will have a good sale price due to her good temperament, training and conformation.

supercrunch
20-06-04, 10:44 AM
SORRY TO SOUND RUDE, I HAVE NOT LOOKED AT THIS WEB SITE FOR ALMOST 3 WEEKS AND WHEN I DID I WAS DICUSTED THAT THIS POST WAS STILL THE MAIN ISSUE.... CAN WE TALK ABOUT SOMETHING THAT IS REALLY INTERESTING AND NOT WASTING OUR TIME ON GRANNUS 11... AS I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE AND WILL SAY IT AGAIN THAT THERE IS BETTER QUALITY OUT THERE....

otto
24-06-04, 07:32 AM
Obviously, you have no idea about Grannus II mares, have a look at the size of FEI horses Belcam Gaucho, Astonish (Belcam Aristocrate), Saddleworld Checkmate (Belcam Chess) Belcam Glasgow these are only a few off the top of my head that are all out of Grannus II Mares and are all over 16.2hh now I would not call that small. And as for quality you obviously did not go to the Belcam International sale recently as you would see what quality is in its purest form. So I would recommend that a Grannus II Mare would definately be an asset to any small or large stud. The proof is in the pudding.!!!!

otto
24-06-04, 11:28 PM
whoops, sorry about the miss information in the above posting, please note that Gaucho & Glasgow were by Grannus II not out of Grannus II mares, but my point is that Grannus II produced some pretty amazing horses and continues to do so out of his progeny, even though he passed away more than six years ago.

willowtitwillow
25-06-04, 04:31 AM
I thinke there are good average and bad in all lines so I think its is a bit mean to generalise.

My computer has been down so until now I have not been able to respond to the truth

I am glad the post is back to being about horses not some sad persons love life. Truth you must think you know me as your comment about people thinking I am a fool was weird.

I don't know the saddle club characters but I know there is a nasty girl that does not get included. By the sounds of it I would say that's why your not part of saddle club games.

I honestly felt sorry for the person that felt they had to spit back at their ex lover. I was not trying to be cruel.

Now to a happier note. I was at the Belcam International sale and I agree with Otto. I just missed out on my own Belcam baby. I will have try harder next year.

supercrunch
25-06-04, 12:39 PM
not again, boring. NEXT ISSUE PLEASE....

Integrity
26-06-04, 10:59 AM
ok then.. start your own thread!

supercrunch
27-06-04, 02:31 PM
I just did

Fetlock
27-06-04, 03:13 PM
crunchie, and your point or topic is??

supercrunch
27-06-04, 05:41 PM
Fetlock- Was it the Chestnut thing that upset you?

Hint; Look in main menu for topic!

Fetlock
28-06-04, 01:08 PM
upset me? never, love chestnusts roasted or riden. Saw the post in the main forum, just couldn't work out if you were being 'tongue in cheek' or just seriously nasty - but added my tuppence of humour all the same.
Have a great week :)

Integrity
29-06-04, 04:44 AM
Fetlock; my apologies to u for last nights wake up call :D you can hit me later in the week!

I suspect that SC does actually contain one wicked and dry SOH...hmm perhaps we with a little more encouragement he/she (thinking she but could b wrong) might tell us a bit more about him/her...

BTW u had my ROTFLMAO (even had tears)after reading your reply to SC's topic in main....

he he he

talk l8r

B

Fetlock
29-06-04, 11:44 AM
B
No problemo my friend - typical of me - forgot to charge the mobile and then couldnt find the cord. Though I sounded asleep, I wasnt, just still fighting this horrid flu.

Will call u tonight to make plans this week. PS..got some 'interesting' goss for you too.
Catch u soon