PDA

View Full Version : SKIN RIPPED OFF KNEE (FOAL)

mick
10-04-04, 02:16 PM
I have a foal that has ripped the skin off its knee i have been told the hair will grow back but im not sure. Has any one ever had this happen where the hair has growen back.

Roseraie
11-04-04, 05:37 AM
Hi Mick
None of ours have done this but a friends weanling filly decided that her knees were an effective breaking system ( dont ask - she has her own ideas about EVERYTHING ) and skinned them on a number of occassions. Each time they healed well. She is now 2 and dispite the repeated trauma the hair is the same colour as the rest of her legs and she has fortunately outgrown this habbit only to develop new and exciting ones......................
All the best
Helen

mick
11-04-04, 10:07 AM
Thanks Helen but this one has no skin left, like she has scalped her knee there is no hair or skin.

Roseraie
11-04-04, 11:21 AM
Hi Mick
Yes I gathered that much - babies are great healers as long as there is no structural damage to the joint capsule, tendons etc in time it should heal over. The filly mentioned above took the skin off also on occasions and she honestly has no scarring at all now. I know it looks awful but if the area is clean and clear of debris they do heal.
Has your girl been seen by a vet?
Just a thought but we have had some great results with the Smith and Nephew Opsite Flexigrid patches. They are stocked by most chemists, come in a range of sizes and are designed for human use as the name suggests on postop wounds but we have used them on horses. They are simply put like a second skin and are breathable and encourage speedier healing. You do however need to prepare the site first ie shave, thoroughly clean and dry in order for them to stick but they are worth the effort.
Hope all goes well - keep us updated
Helen

MandyE
11-04-04, 06:23 PM
Mick, you can also try the 4 Aces ointment, I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and it is really good. Our weanling pulled back a few weeks back and took the 8 foot pine post hitching rail with her and barked her legs in several places. Two required stitching, one of which healed and the other popped the stitches (it was on the elbow), but all are now healing well and we are only bandaging one cannon which has a wound slightly larger than a 50c piece. All I am doing is putting the 4 aces on everyday to the exposed wounds, and the bandaged one is just getting its dressing changed every 3-4 days. She had no muscle damage, only skin tears.

Several years back I had a weanling who took the full layers of skin off from knee to fetlock, she now has a small scar along the outline of the wound and that is all. In fact it just looks as though the hair has been rubbed and is laying in the wrong direction - if you didn't know you wouldn't notice. All the flesh grew back, and then the hair as well.

You'll be fine! They are great healers when they are young!

Good luck.

lucy
14-05-04, 08:37 AM
my gurl did that 2 herself when she was a bub. i put vitamin c tablets crushed up in some feed for her every day and it just started 2 grow back after about one month of havin a bald spot on her leg. hope this helps