PDA

View Full Version : Wunder

Sophie
30-04-04, 01:57 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any info on the warmblood stallion Wunder? I have his breeding etc but would like to know what his temperament was like? Also does anyone have any Wunder progeny? What are they like?

Jacinta
01-05-04, 01:10 AM
Hi,
All i know is that Wunder was AWHA reg, but his died. His Danish breeding is by Voltaire (by Wedekind by Ferdinand) out of a mare called Poesi by Atlantic. Atlantic was by the famous Abglanz.
Hope this helps.
Jacinta

Tk
01-05-04, 02:30 AM
I have a broodmare by Wunder and she has a sensational temperament. Her son & daughter (granddaughter & grandson of Wunder) also have superb temperaments, amazing movement, perfect conformation and are highly trainable. I think Wunder was a sensational stallion and threw some beautiful, high quality horses. He certainly put a stamp on his progeny.

elfindigital
01-05-04, 05:49 AM
Hi,

I think it was "Wunder" I video and photography at "Diana Ferri" when it wasn't at Werribee. Long time a go.

He did a long-reining demo with owner Vick Cubly.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. It was a very long time ago.

Best regards
Kelly

ernie
02-05-04, 03:13 PM
Wunder was a big and rather heavy bay stallion imported from Denmark by Gert and Mary (now Hanna) Donvig. He had the most elastic and supple movement. He was broken in by the Donvigs but never made it to the competition arena.

Terry and Vicki Cubley purchased him and yes, did a demonstration with him at the diana ferrari dressage championships at Glenbrae many years ago.

You are right, elfindigital :-)

Check the breeding of the "Torlea" prefix horses - Wunder has been the major contributor in this most successful line of competition horses in Victoria.

elfindigital
03-05-04, 02:52 AM
Thanks ernie,

I pulled out all the old photo albums and found photos of Vicki and Wunder. The year was 1994 on the program I found with them *S*.
Bring back memories.
Yes he did have a very elastic and supple movement. Very tall horse.

elfindigital

skipstevo
18-04-05, 05:53 AM
I have an 11 year old gelding by Wunder out of a TB mare. He is 17.2hh, bay and gorgeous!! His temperament is the best of any horse I have owned or have dealt with and I deal with quite a few horses through equine massage! He is so placid, quiet but bold and strong, very trainable and aims to please. He loves people and you can do anything with him. Very fluid and elastic movement. I hear Wunder was the same, but if anyone knows I would love some information.

I have been looking for Wunder info also. I have his breeding through my geldings various rego forms, but Im looking to sell my fella I am getting into campdrafting/quarter horses and where I have recently moved to, there is no dressage (unless I travel for hours!). I dont want to sell him as I have owned him since he was 4 and am very close to him, but I dont have the work for him and he loves to work! I guess Im searching for prices of Wunder stock and what sort of people buy them if anyone knows. Naturally I want to sell him to someone who will do well with him and go far. He will go FEI with the right rider!

I have also been told he looks like Wunder, so if anyone has pics of Wunder, please email them to me at wwdh@bigpond.com
Thanks!

improv
19-04-05, 10:43 AM
If you are around Victoria, there's a lovely, big boy, Six Hats Illinga, by Wunder, competing, I think, in Advanced? may be higher now. Lovely natured and powerful movement.

Werdun
21-04-05, 01:59 PM
>I have also been told he looks like Wunder, so if anyone has
>pics of Wunder, please email them to me at wwdh@bigpond.com
>Thanks!

Add me too!!! haladowerdun@hotmail.com My stallion is by Wunder and I've been told he's like a little carbon copy (just a bit lighter build and less white). There are plenty of pics of Voltaire on the net (do a google on "voltaire kwpn"). Never found anything on Poesi.

There don't seem to be many Wunders around anymore. I know of a few in SA, but not many. But I'm trying continue the line... :-)

Katherine

waterlily
22-04-05, 11:38 AM
There is pictures of Wunder in some of the old horse magazines dating back in the mid 80's I think.

nichole_aird
13-05-05, 10:17 AM
>I was wondering if anyone has any info on the warmblood
>stallion Wunder? I have his breeding etc but would like to
>know what his temperament was like? Also does anyone have
>any Wunder progeny? What are they like?

Nichole

I have a Stallion by Wunder. I have had him since a foal. To say we have had a smooth road would be an enormous understatement. I found that he is very talented undersaddle but a real handful on the ground and has been since a baby. He is a stunning deep bay and looks a lot like wunder. He is now 8 and is only now giving himself to me. He is really connected in the back now and willing to try however I have found him and others that I have worked with by Wunder especially stallions quite stong willed. He is now a push over under saddle but still can be tricky on the ground. I am not too sure how many Wunder stallions are left as I do know people who have gelded them as they were too much to handle. I am glad I stuck with him as I have a super stallion prospect now. Good luck.

Ritchie
13-05-05, 11:50 AM
Hmmmm very interesting Nichole!! My guy is a bit of a stubborn guy. Very talented but can be very awkward when he is grumpy. Whats the name of your stallion??
Sophie

Stirling
13-05-05, 03:14 PM
Nichole,

Just wanted to say I applaud you for being so open and honest about your stallion. Sometimes the hard work does pay off and isn't that a nice feeling when things finally come together! Congratulations and good on you!

Stirling

Werdun
14-05-05, 07:54 AM
>I have a Stallion by Wunder. I have had him since a foal.
>To say we have had a smooth road would be an enormous
>understatement. I found that he is very talented
>undersaddle but a real handful on the ground and has been
>since a baby.

Oh, boy can I relate to that!!! While I wouldn't call my boy "dificult", he certainly needs a bold, confident handler. Yep, my boy was such a handful when he was young (also had him from a foal), but as you said, once they are mature, they are just lovely. My boy is 7 now and I'd say that it took me until he was about 5 to really get to know him after knowing him his whole life...he is such a complex horse.

I have had so much fun with him though, as we have developed quite a bond (mostly as there has never been anyone else I trusted to handle him - they are definitely not "first" stallions.) We've done all sorts of things under saddle (inc. hound exercise and stock work) and I have also used him to pull up logs from the paddock (we have no tractor) as well as having great fun doing liberty work. He loves a mental challenge and is extremely trainable and intelligent. The bigger the challenge, the more he'll try. Yet as much of a handful as he can be, he is always honest and these traits seem to be consistent in all the Wunders.

>I am not too sure how many Wunder stallions are
>left as I do know people who have gelded them as they were
>too much to handle.

Tintagel Magic is a Wunder (ridden by Andrew McLean) and I have seen a couple of Wunder stallions advertised in Horse Deals. As far as I know, I have the only one in SA. I am hoping to get him performance licensed too fairly soon which would make him the only AWHA licensed Wunder in Australia.

>I am glad I stuck with him as I have a super stallion prospect now.

:-) High five!!! Know exactly what you've been through and where you're at now!!! Have you bred him yet? (Would love to know what kind of progeny he's throwing as I'm still experimenting a bit!)

Katherine

waterlily
15-05-05, 12:22 PM
I tried out a stallion for sale by Wunder and he had a fabulous attitude even though he was only 5. Like a gelding to handle and I rode him in his 5 acre paddock and he behaved like a gentleman.

kbarson
20-01-06, 12:54 PM
I read your reply re wunder - do you still have the broodmare and if you do are you willing to lease her. I have had 2 geldings by wunder and found them terrific.