PDA

View Full Version : breeding the quater horse

wendy
04-05-04, 12:37 PM
hi can anyone tell me if l can use a TB or stb mare to breed a quater horse foal.? and will l be able to get it registed.

zamarie
04-05-04, 12:43 PM
I know that a thoroughbred/quarter horse foal can be registered as a First Cross Quarterhorse (and I am a big fan of this cross!). I don't know about the standardbred cross.

wendy
04-05-04, 12:51 PM
>I know that a thoroughbred/quarter horse foal can be
>registered as a First Cross Quarterhorse (and I am a big fan
>of this cross!). I don't know about the standardbred cross.
I have afirst x out of leo wimpy but cant get reg because the dam was a pinto . looking at buying mare to breed with.

Ditzy
05-05-04, 01:42 AM
TB is the only breed other than QH you can use. Check out the website if you havent already www.aqha.org.au

Cheers

Mary Moo
28-06-04, 08:27 AM
The mare must be ASB registered, she then becomes a 'foundation' mare in the AQHA

squid hill
05-07-04, 11:29 AM
Thats right, only ASB Tb mares can be used. The QH ass will not allow any SB, draft, coloured, pony blood what so ever.
If you want to get a QH, why not just buy a QH mare in foal to a QH.

sheesa
17-07-04, 03:39 AM
I do beg to differ here. Sorry,

All you have to do is list the dams name with breeding unknown and the foal provided it is buy a stallion with current breeding status and you have the certificate of service from the stallion owner, the foal will be registered as a appendix/foundation rego. This is happening all the time. Will not work with paints as you do have to state the colour, and there can be no white splashes outside designated areas, or white eyes.
I personally am against it, but do know from mare owners who enquire about my stallion that this is what they intend to do.
Needless to say my stallion does not serve any mare unless it is a purebred registered Q/H and a copy of the papers must be shown to me prior to service. Stallion owner s shoyld adopt this to keep the breeding guidelines in tact.

squid hill
20-07-04, 03:04 AM
Thanks for that Sheesa. I thought the mares had to be TB. I turned down a really good pally mare reg with the pally society as I was told by another QH breeder that it could not be reg as a foundation mare. Does that mean that if I had got this mare and put her to my boy that I could have registered the foal and shown it in halter classes?
Also do you have a pic of your stallion, I would love to see him.
You can email it to me of you like. squidhillqh@hotmail.com
Who is he, what is his breeding. He may suit my mares.
cheers
www.squidhill.com

sheesa
20-07-04, 04:14 AM
Should have grabbed that pally Squidhill. You certainly can breed the pally to a currently registered stallion issueing breeding certificates and get your foal registered appendix/foundation. They can compete in quarterhorse events just like the purebred. How-ever you are subject to the whingeing of the other competitors who are showing there purebreds in the same event. The judge of that particular class will make a ruling on you eligalbity(probably spelt that wrong).
I have been a victim of this during showing yet never evicted from the show ring.

The stallion..Outback Roc x Tassa Lena mare, was purchased in October by myself and my sister from a deceased estate. He is currently in the Kimberlys WA with my sister (learning to chase cows). I do hope to have him back here for the coming season.(I can't afford to buy services for my mares) Rising four and already covered eight mares, and buckskin to boot.

squid hill
21-07-04, 03:09 AM
Ive seen pics of Roc, fantastic stallion. Isnt he the one that hsa gone back to the states? I may be wrong.

The pally mare is apparently 1/2 QH but not registered as such. She is one of the Goldview horses, . She looks to me like 1/2 QH, with a bit of arab.
I think she may still be available, but ill have to look into it. She would go very nice with my boy, but if I get a cremello I supose its still worth something as a reg cremello, not a QH.
Where abouts are you situated, you say your boy is in WA?

sheesa
21-07-04, 03:23 AM
To my knowledge Outback Roc is still at Rhondhu station in western qld.
Bit tricky to say where I am, I use the name sheesa as the other was kicked out of the forums. oops. Its a great country and I could be anywhere, but the horse is in WA.
cheers