PDA

View Full Version : Temperament question

jacquis
30-05-04, 02:59 AM
I have a 4 year old TB whos temperament I just love, absolutly dead quite. I have found out that his dam, who is quiet as well, is for sale. My question is how much of a horses temperament do people think come from the mare?

I have never considered breeding before but if i had a good chance of getting another horse like the one i have now I would jump at the opportunity.

Thanks

Alison_21
30-05-04, 09:38 AM
Hi,

Its hard to say who is the bigger influence you would think the mare. I have a foal who's temperament took after the sire, her mother was very standoffish but the foal is very friendly and has now been weaned and still very friendly. It sounds like you are happy with her offspring and that is always a plus when looking at the mare. With all my mares I loved their offspring and that was a deciding factor on buying them. I would grab her if you can and when you choose a stallion make sure he has a great nature as well. Good Luck

ACE
10-08-04, 11:13 AM
Just bringing this to the top as I would love to hear other opinions on this. I had a mare who was nice enough- had a foal by a cleveland bay which was the friendliest smartest little horse. Mare then had a foal by an anglo- was timid , flighty silly little horse, her flightyness ended up causing her death. However as I loved the anglo stallion so much I bought a gelding by him from his owners and he is the most delightfull horse I have ever owned. I would love another , but am a bit put off by the first one . As an amateur breeder- can anyone enlighten me - does temperament generally come from mum or dad?

pagan
10-08-04, 12:30 PM
I do think there is an absolute answer to that question. There are certain lines in throughbred breeding that you can be almost certain of the resultant temperament. Usually, horses by Lord Dudley, Better Boy, Cindy's Son (oops.. they are all a bit old), Rancher, Rancho Ruler, Favoured Bay, Danehill, et al are just delights to know.

It is said the mare has a lot to do with foal temperament simply because the foal is with her and she 'educates' it.

I reckon, good temperament should be sought out and perpetuated if possible. Good Luck

jacquis
11-08-04, 04:06 PM
Pagan what you say make logical sense and my boy holds true to your theory. I did a little more research and was told that his sire was quite 'hot' and agressive.

I have had to force myself into a major finacial reality check, the cost of her is not the problem but the cost of flying or shipping her over is (sigh...). But this metal exercies has brought up an interesting question for me - why is it that many people (not all i know) put so much time, effort and money into finding an appropriate stallion with a good temperament but so little into the suitability of the mare. She came cheap or can't be ridden any more due to behavioural/tempreament/training problems, what else will i do with her, oh yeah i'll put her in foal.

This is something you have all probably gone over to death, but as i said in my earlier post i have never considered breeding before therefore never thought too much about it.

pagan
13-08-04, 12:02 PM
Funny that. I think it is just because there is a uterus and it may as well be used. Pity though. What (who) are the horses in question? What stallion, or what lines - can't help it I just like to know..what is the breeding of the mare?
Good luck.

Cyberhorse Mel
14-08-04, 06:35 AM
I often ask the same question - why do people breed from mares who are unsuitable to ride - either from breaking down physically or not bueing suitable mentally (for one reason or another). Great - breed more of them for the world to deal with!!

The Germans (and other Established Breeding Countries with effective systems in place) understand & award their good mares. In fact they are called State Premium mares & are highly regarded. A foal from a good mare will always bring more money than one from an ordinary mare, when both are by the same sire.

Scientifically the foal inherits more DNA from the mare as it inherits her mitochondrial DNA - which is to do with cellular energy....this could explain why hot mares produce hot foals.....thier cells may burn energy in a different way. And of course the nurturing side of the mare and what she teaches the foal whilst it is in her care is very important.

jodie
14-09-04, 01:54 PM
I was talking about this with a friend the other day. She said that a stallion's progeny will often react in the same way when under pressure, but this is not neccessarily the way the stallion himself would react. Mares tend to pass on habits and behaviours because they spend a lot of time with their foal. This certainly seems to be true with my lot!

As for breeding a mare just because she is there/has no other purpose/has a uterus, I have never understood this attitude. I take great care and pride in selecting my broodmares and like them to be well-credentialled in as many areas as possible. Then I spend ages trying to decide on a stallion that is good enough for my girls and compliments them. That is half the fun of breeding, from my point of view. You can't breed good stock from ordinary mares.

pagan
15-09-04, 03:56 AM
exactly. good onyer!
P