PDA

View Full Version : Colour question......

melly
14-08-04, 04:41 AM
I have decided to put my Tb mare in foal this season, in hope of producing a top quality anglo. The sire I am presently looking at is a grey (now almost white due to his age) purebred arabian. I am wondering what you believe my bay/brown mare will throw? She is very dark bay, on her side nearly all her family is bay - with an exception of a black. I am not real sure of the sires side of things. I thought she may throw a black/grey foal? What are your thought?

P I
14-08-04, 03:24 PM
Guess it's really a matter of genes. But having said that I mated a black/brown mare to three different grey stallions over a number of seasons with the results being a grey colt, grey colt and a grey filly.
The same mare mated to chestnuts produced four chestnuts, to a palomino, a chestnut and a to a bay,a black. so you tell me..... I hope it helps a little. Good luck in your quest.

Integrity
16-08-04, 01:34 AM
oK you need to know if he is homozygous or heterozygous grey! If homo you will get grey of not you might get grey but will also have chances of other colours!! BTW what is his name? My anglo by Priority (imp UK) is grey and out of a grey TB mare so I believe he will be homozygous but we will see in time. Good luck with your choices.

Research what he has already produced.

melly
20-08-04, 08:31 AM
Ok... His name is Saab, saub (A little unsure of the speeling) he is around 22 I believe.

Where can I find research on him? I have tried the Australian Arab site and I'm waiting on a fax they promised me two weeks ago... they seem hopeless!

Integrity
20-08-04, 10:56 AM
Ok - get the spelling right and i'll post on OZ arabs or you can post on arabians.com.au and ask - there is a studbook that some people have old copies of that he will be in if REGISTERED and ok to use!

Cheers!

here's mine if you want a peek!

http://www.geocities.com/shahbria/home.html

squid hill
21-08-04, 02:22 AM
You have 50% chance of getting a grey.
Other possibilities are bay, brown, chestnut. Perhaps black but not likely.