PDA

View Full Version : Colostrum

Alison_21
07-09-04, 04:52 AM
I have a mare that has had haemolytic foals in the past. Can anyone tell me where I can buy some colostrum in SA or a recipe on how to make it. We are expecting a foal in the next few weeks.

excited angel
07-09-04, 06:48 AM
Contact the larger thoroughbred stud farms - they usually keep a colostrum bank. Most I think would help you. I gather you've already asked if your vet can get some. Reckon TB studs will be your best bet or else contact the Equine Hospital in Scone, NSW. Hope it all goes well.

EA
07-09-04, 06:55 AM
There was an advertisement in either this months HD or Horse Magazine, where someone advertised Colostrum. You should give them a call, otherwise it is usually quite difficult to get hold of. We usually collect our own from mares, however this year our mare that loses her colostrum is the first one due so we may need to be buying some in ourselves.

In general unless the studs have plenty they are going to be reluctant to give it away as they may themselves have a foal that requires it.

EA
08-09-04, 02:47 AM
The company that advertises Colostrum for sale is Alpha Animal Care ph 1800 442 017

excited angel
08-09-04, 09:53 AM
Allison, problem solved. Check page 39 of September Horse Deals.
Alpha Animal care 1800 442 017 or 02 9649 4429 Australia-wide delivery of COLOSTRUM 250g or 500g.
J

Alison_21
08-09-04, 02:29 PM
I have got onto some other companies that sell the powdered colostrum and will place an order if I don't have luck anywhere else. I have also tried the larger TB studs but being the start of the season they don't have excess to spare. I have spoken to my vet amongst others but they don't carry colostrum but can do a plasma transfer (very expensive!!!!). I was told by a vet that I can use Cow Colostrum - has anyone heard of this or used it?

simron
09-09-04, 01:35 AM
Hi there Alison. I think colostrum is very species specific. I'm no expert but you would assume that cow colostrum gives immunity against cow diseases etc and that horse colostrum gives immunity against horse specific disease etc? I'd go for horse colostrum even if it were powder/processed over fresh cow colostrum. I have been involved with horses and cattle and have never heard of using cow colostrum in horses. Anyway, if you ever wanted cow colostrum, most dairy farmers keep a frozen supply.

Alison_21
12-09-04, 01:17 PM
Hi Simron & others,

I have spoken to my own vet about using Cow colostrum and he agrees with you Simron on being species specific. Looking into the powdered colostrum they are made from Bovine (cattle) colostrum so I'm not keen on using them. Luckily, I gave one last try on a TB stud and they have colostrum I can have.

Thanks everyone for your posts

simron
14-09-04, 01:27 AM
I,m glad you've found something. I assumed the powdered colostrum would have been from horses if it were advertised as being for foals in Horse Deals!? There is also a blood test you can do after the foal has had it's colostrum to ensure the colostrum has passed on sufficient immunity - I had this done and it was relatively inexpensive - maybe $50 - can't remember exactly.

Choridas
03-10-04, 07:01 AM
Hey
If you want to go for a more 'natural' approach that works just as well, try vegemite! I am not kidding! Vegemite has all of the vitamins and minerals that a growing animal needs in the first few hours of its life. Get a teaspoon of vegemite and put it in the horse's mouth and make sure it swallows it.

Hope this helps.

Alison_21
04-10-04, 02:50 PM
I had planned to do the test once the foal was born, I have also just found out I can have our stallion tested to see if he will produce these type of foals. My mare foaled 2 weeks ago now but unfortunately the foal died during labour. Has been quite upsetting and we seem to have a run of bad luck. One of our cows had a dead calf and a ewe a dead lamb all of which we had to pull out. To top it all off I had to put my beloved Dobe to sleep, she was 14.

Thank you everyone for your posts

MandyE
08-10-04, 02:04 PM
Um, one problem with that Choridas, is that vegemite doesn't contain any of the vital 'antibodies' that colostrum contains, therefore it can't offer the foal the temporary immunity that colostrum provides.

The other thing that most people don't realise about vegemite is that it contains a preservative, 220, which is Sulphur Dioxide. It is also used in wine and other foodstuffs, especially dried fruit. It is known to cause in humans: Asthma, hyperactivity, headache, backache, gastric irritation, liver toxicity, destroys vitamin A in food, bronchitis, nausea.

It also contains the colour 150d, which causes: hyperactivity, gastrointestinal symptoms, kidney, liver and caecum enlargement in rats.

If my kids eat vegemite, even just a minimal serve spread on a piece of toast, they are certainly hyper, and my daughter gets headaches! We've since removed it from our diet and now use Mighty Mite instead, which is also an Australian product, and doesn't have any preservatives or artificial colours or flavours.

I certainly wouldn't be giving it to a newborn foal, that's for sure!

The reason that foals need colostrum is that they need 'passive transfer' of immunity from their dam - if they don't get that, they can get very sick from overload of their immature immune system, and will often die. That's also why substitute colostrum needs to be given to a foal if the mare runs milk for more than 3 days. If a foal does not get the colostrum within 12 hours, it loses the ability to absorb it via the gut, and that's when the intravenous infusion needs to be given.

I realise you mean well with your advice Choridas, but just be aware of the affect that ill informed, although well meaning, advice might have on the welfare of someone else's animals!

Cheers,

Mandy

MandyE
08-10-04, 02:08 PM
Oh Alison :-(, sorry to hear of your loss of the foal and your other bad luck. Best of luck for any further babies due? I'm expecting a foal in the next week or so, and I can't relax until the foal is safely on the ground.

hugs to you,

Mandy