PDA

View Full Version : Mares producing twins

riverviewlodge1
07-09-04, 11:28 AM
Just curious as to whether any one else has had this happen to them. Sent a broodmare to reputable stud last year. She produced 2 follicles. scanned at 13 days had twins, pinched one. Scanned again at 19 30 & 45 days and told only one foal. She then went about aborting twins at 300 days one perfectly normal the other the size of a border collie. Only excuse the vet can find is she had triplets. But that doesn't help me much.

Fetlock
07-09-04, 11:54 AM
I would be asking who did the initial scans and the 3 follow up scans. See if they are qualified Vets or technician to do this.

Its tragic for you to loose a foal so close to due date, and I would suspect that the less formed foal was the reason an abortive labour started which unfortunately took out the viable fetus. This happens in humans too.

There is always the risk of a fetus hiding behind another - sometimes due to the position they lay in, however, one would have expected after having 3 further scans this would have been detected.

Next time you breed see if you can get embryo insurance upon positive preg testing, especially if using frozen semen. Fingers are crossed that you have a LFG and can return your mare. This time her history would dictate they have a very very close look.
All the best.

williamsway
07-09-04, 01:37 PM
Will you please contact me privately - message or email. I would like to discuss this with you. Just contact me, please.

Dutch
08-09-04, 12:04 AM
I had a mare that conceived triplets to chilled semen, but they were detected as we knew she had three mature folicles and serched for the other embyos. We had two squashed and the third embyo produced a lovely colt for us. It is very easy to miss a twin or triplet. To start with they thought that my mare only had two but it took a very thorough look to find the third.

riverviewlodge1
08-09-04, 02:39 AM
Many thanks for your input had LFG sending different mare to this stallion and doing this mare at home this time to frozen semen. And will be keeping a very close eye on her. I know accidents do happen and it was a good vet clinic that did the scans. Just a shame I didnt know she was having twins as could have helped her along with regumate etc. If had of got her another 20 days along might still have had 1 viable foal. As two years ago had one foal born at 315 days and if you saw her now you would never guess she was a prem baby.

EA
08-09-04, 02:43 AM
Unfortunately this can happen, it is not always possible to find all the embryos, especially as it can depend largely on where it is hiding, the technology available helps to do so much but it is never fallable. This is just an unfortunate part of breeding, these things happen.

MandyE
21-09-04, 03:03 PM
L, will let you know through our mutual friend what happens with my mare. She had two folicles, we inseminated with chilled, found two at about 15 days and pinched one, scanned successfully at 30 and about 45-50 days with everything clear to one pregnancy, she is due in mid January and not looking big enough at this stage to have two, so fingers crossed everything is OK. One of the embryos was smaller than the other, so this is the one the vet pinched off.

I guess like everyone else says, the technology can only do so much. I still remember the thread from last year about the mare who gave birth to triplets after being scanned and having, from memory, one or even two? pinched off. All I can say is that I guess these things happen. But that doesn't help you much either does it? Good luck with the frozen.

Cheers, Mandy