PDA

View Full Version : Don Schufro

kota
16-09-04, 03:47 PM
Does anybody have any Don Schufro foals?
What was the quality of the semen when thawed from frozen, and which vet did you use for he frozen cycle?
I want to breed one of my mares to him and am a first time frozen breeder and am a little concerned about the success rate and how to choose a vet. I gather the costs are extreme, for this procedure.
Don Schufro is available from Blue Hors and I have all those prices and am now scatching my head with this.
There are many who do frozen but are there real stats on thier success or are they able to tell me anything.
I would rather use a vet who has used this frozen before with results.
Any help please,

kaz2769
25-09-04, 11:59 AM
Hi Kota
Got one due any day now! yep any day now, the waiting is killing me, due on the 20th.

The semen was a bit different, i tried three times with a very healthy young Valuta mare to no avail. So purchased a further 2 straws.

Inseminated another maiden mare (Trak) and she took first go using a different vet. The vet was not so confident as the semen instrucitons were to heavily dilute with saline. You could discuss this with him if you wish, Terry Hicks Muswellbrook Veterinary Clinic 0265432000. He did have a further plan if the pregnancy did not take.

I think frozen is a lottery no matter what, there is no reason why my first mare should not have taken. Check all your pricing it is expensive and this foal to date has taken me three years to get to now. Good luck

Regards Chris

kota
25-09-04, 11:03 PM
Thanks for that.

The dilution is very similar to another tale I have been told.
I have a maiden i want to use it on who is a very clucky maiden.
And I have spoken to several vets about their ways of using frozen.
Still scratching my head but will make a decision soon

LindaH
07-01-05, 09:20 AM
We've got a Don Schufro filly that we bought as a foal with the mare. I don't know who did the AI'ing but I know it took the breeder 4 goes to get the foal. She used her initial 3 doses then tried once more and got the filly.

Bats_79
12-01-05, 12:09 PM
Where are you from Koto? I had heard that the Don Schufro semen was so good you could "spill it on the ground, scoop it up and still get a pregnancy". :)

I haven't used it but my vet was impressed with the quality and strike rate with other users.

kota
14-01-05, 11:44 AM
I am in queensland.

Still ahve'nt used the Don schufro semen.
Have to find the right person for the job.

wetsawdustdemon
15-01-05, 02:40 PM
Where abouts in QLD?

If not too far from North Brisbane, I recommend Samford Valley Vet Hospital.

They have AI'd my mare the last two years, once with chilled and once with frozen, both times gave pregnancies on the first insemination. According to International Horse Breeders they have the second highest success rate in Australia. They have a website, a quick Google search should bring it up.

I've heard very good things about the Don Shufro semen... but there can be so much variation from batch to batch, and so much depends on the mare as well.

matavia
31-01-05, 09:14 AM
Oakey Vet Clinic is supposed to be the best reproductive vet clinic in Qld.
We have just inseminated a mare with Don Schufro. The vet was vey happy with the quality of the semen :60% motility, very good for frozen. Weltmyer is only supposed to be 40% now. I wanted to use a Donerhall stallion to my Pommery mare and Don Schufro had the best stats and of course was the most expensive. Now it is just a wait and see thing.

Matavia