PDA

View Full Version : First time breeder

turtle
07-10-04, 03:51 AM
I am new to the breeding forum so please forgive me if I re-visit some old ground.
I want to put my mare to a frozen import and think that Sandro Hit is devine, but I don't wish to spend quite that much, especially for a first time. Does anyone know anything about his son Sir Donnerhall apart from what is on the Waterview Park site? Or for that matter any of Sandro Hits other sons that might be available here.

I am looking for a stallion that has a good brain but has some height, at least 16.3 to put some height on my mare and also he needs good legs. I would prefer a non chestnut.

Any suggestions or things I need to look out for?

kt
07-10-04, 08:59 AM
“Stedinger” full stop – he is unbelieveable! By Sandro Hit out of a Landadal mare – he was Champion Oldenburg 2003. Over 17hh and dark brown. Waterview Park offers him.
If you want some info about Sandro Hit and his sons – ask on wwwarmbloods.com (USA and European based) forum.

abalone
07-10-04, 01:40 PM
Sunny Boy has been described as 'arguably the best stallion son of Sandro Hit'. He is brown, around 16.2 I think (?) and from the PSI/Schockemohle stable. Goes for roughly half the price of Sandro Hit with reportedly decent success rate.

I was in the same boat as you - love Sandro Hit but not keen to spend quite that much! So it was a toss up between Sunny Boy and Stedinger.. chose Sunny boy as I thought he was a better match for my particular mare. Sunny Boy is available from both IHB and Waterview Park (who have a video available...VERY nice....make sure you order it!)

anyway I am due to use the semen in roughly a month.. I will report back.

kt
08-10-04, 01:15 AM
My opinion: The reason I chose Stedinger (17+hh) over Sunny Boy (16.2hh) was height and seeing their progeny on video and reading comments from breeders from the USA and Europe. A friend of a friend has just visited Stedinger recently and was extremely impressed. Sunny Boy has a dishing action with one of his fore legs (as does Sandro Hit). The European’s don’t seem to mind, but most Aussie’s do from experience! I know of 2 Stedinger fillies who are being imported to Australia very soon, so it will be interesting to see them out and about. I hear that both the frozen from both these stallions is very good and they have had very good success in USA earlier this year.

MandyE
08-10-04, 01:31 PM
Funny you should say Sir Donnerhall, because someone recommended him today, she has seen him in the flesh and tells me he is very, very nice and wants to use him herself.

She also recommended Sir Oldenberg.

Good luck in your choice, I am going to be using frozen this year for the first time too, and I'm a little bit nervous about it, lol! I'm looking at Alabaster and Riverside for my TB mares.

sharyn
09-10-04, 12:38 AM
i have heard that sir oldenberg semen isn't flash (at all!), but good news is, if you are interested in him, belcam international are importing a son of him. there are photos on their website.

DeniseS
28-10-04, 09:30 AM
That must be a very young son of his Sharyn as Sir Oldenburg himself isn't any older than 6. I saw him at the Bundeschampionate in the four year old class in 2002.

I prefer Sir Donnerhall out of the two and i still love French Kiss and Dresemann .....sigh.

AND this one's for you MandyE !! (and kt :) ) for those of you dreaming about using Sandro Hit......I got a pregnancy in my maiden Royal Diamond filly FIRST GO !!

Sigh.......love it when a plan comes together !

MandyE
03-11-04, 02:01 PM
Cheers Denise, congratulations! Will be looking forward to seeing that one!

We've decided to go with Alabaster, so thanks for your input on that score. Fingers crossed for little vet bills!

Cheers,

Mandy

BJD
09-11-04, 05:01 AM
There is a Sandro Hit son standing at the AEBC in Broadford that they imported last year, very tall, leggy bay called Allasandro?? Anyway you can contact them on 03 57871374 and they have a video, I think the service fee is about $1200 or $1500 with LFG so might be a good option.

sheesa
09-11-04, 07:40 AM
Great choice with Alabaster, I have just had four mares go positive one the first run with the Alabaster semen.
Defrosts really good with good motility.
Best of Luck.

sharyn
10-11-04, 06:24 AM
hi denise.

the photos they had were of a youngster, so i assume he is still very much a baby!!

sharyn......

waterlily
23-11-04, 01:51 PM
I have seen Belcams new stallion by Sir Oldenburg and just love him. He is 2 and a half, black with a white star. Cant wait to see him move.