PDA

View Full Version : New Baby this morning

riverviewlodge1
04-12-04, 02:21 AM
Yeah 7 down and only 2 to go. Nice little black colt star & 2 white socks. Im so glad the sleepless nights are nearly over. Does anyone else feel like a walking zomby this time of year or is it just me.?

EA
04-12-04, 09:21 AM
You are not alone, 9 down, 5 to go.

Girth
04-12-04, 12:14 PM
I feel for you guys, I've only got one to go now....sigh! and that is not until late Dec 04.

Right now 'mum to be' is eating her head off with the other mares and foals and becoming quite sookie!

Zombie??? hell yeah! because we are also in the process of serving mare after mare as they cycle back in. Stallion has a smile on his dial though.

Nothing like keeping the coffee manufacturers in business :)

riverviewlodge1
04-12-04, 01:06 PM
Tell me about it mare foaled at 2.30am vet at 6.30 to scan 2 now waiting for him to come back and AI them. Yes just foaling would be Ok then you have to get them back in foal. Have 5 45days 2 30days monday. Sick of the sight of the vet. Havent worked out whats easier yet Walk in with gallopers or AI with standardbreds.All I know is its and extra long season doing both.

riverviewlodge1
04-12-04, 01:11 PM
Oh dear thats the number im going to have next year. i hope your not a one person band like me and holding down a part time job (no wonder im single). Thank good I've got a boss that doesnt mind me swapping my days regularly. these days all I have to text him is 'baby' or 'Vet' and he replies see u tomorrow

Integrity
04-12-04, 02:56 PM
congrats on your baby! tb? breeding?

Single and breeding horses? hell yeah I do it, though sometimes it's a stretch, it happens.

When your that passionate you find a way!

EA
04-12-04, 03:12 PM
Yes I am a one person band. Even worse I have a full time job and two properties with 60 horses to look after. I do have a partner, but he doesnt wake up, not unless you count the time last week when he turned the lights on for me and bought me out the torch. Usually he doesnt bother to wake up.

riverviewlodge1
05-12-04, 02:12 AM
No this one sb, frozen semen from USA very nice colt. His mothers brother was 3yo pacer of the year and won over $500 000.00 on the track from just 40 starts, mares 1st foal, I know where he go his colour from but all the white markings are a worry.

riverviewlodge1
05-12-04, 02:13 AM
how the hell do you manage that!??

pagan
05-12-04, 09:13 AM
Congratulations! Next season, if I can get Shelly to 'mind the shop' here, I will come up and give you a few days off! Cheers, P

EA
07-12-04, 05:36 AM
I manage with great difficulty, but in the long term it will be worth it. Over the years we have come up with a few things to make life a bit easier, camera in the stables, use of milk tests etc, so that I can predict better when the foals will come so I dont have so many sleepless nights. I also have a very considerate employer that lets me work from home several days a week, and that helps quite alot. I can also stay home and work if I need to keep an eye on the foal or I think they will foal during the day. If I could not do this I think I would be lost.

A holiday would be lovely, I took 4 days off this year to go to a highschool reunion interstate, it took me so much planning to get that little time off. I enjoyed it though.

riverviewlodge1
07-12-04, 12:14 PM
Holidays what are they my last to were interstate taking horse to the races 3 days in SA and 4 days in Tassie and by the time you organise everything at home with my neighbour who also breeds, Its hardly worth the effort I find. We have aprox 30 horses each and he seems to take far more holidays than me but thats ok coz I worry too much when im away and cant sleep

EA
10-12-04, 03:44 AM
Yes I agree, hardly worth the effort. I have over 60 horses to look after spread across two properties. Oh well not much you can do is there.

MandyE
11-12-04, 06:32 PM
Oh well EA, maybe by next year you'll be at the new property and things will be easier!!!!

You'll have to let me know when you start bringing mares and babies up to the new place, so I can come and have a look!

I've managed to borrow a foaling alarm for the next mare, who's not due till mid Jan, and I have my milk test kit, so I should be right!

We got the Alabaster semen, just working out which mares are going to go first, so I'll keep you posted how we go with it.

Cheers,

Mandy

EA
14-12-04, 06:15 AM
MandyE, yes hopefully we will be at the new place by next year, alot of work to do between now and then, and that is what is killing me at the moment. I am hoping to have alot of the breeding work done at home next year as well, so hopefully that will pan out ok.

I have a few of the foals up there at the moment, a couple are on next doors paddocks as I still have to round up the last yearling colt, so I dont want to put the non pregant mares back there. A couple of these wont go to breed until after christmas, so they are up there for a spell. I think 5 of them are up there at the moment, one is at the vets amd 5 at home. (new newies, one born last Thursday evening and the other Sunday morning, both quite early, neither mares showed any obvious signs of being about to foal, so they both took me by surprise, but thankfully they were both fine, I will keep them home for a few more weeks.

Good Luck with the Alabaster

MandyE
20-12-04, 09:39 AM
EA, I'll have to come up after christmas, looking forward to seeing the babies! Our first one is going off to the vet next week for Alabaster, we are sending Ari's mum as no.1, until we get the all clear for the sick foal I'm not going to put his mum in, so we'll wait until January for her. The other TB mare has an abscess which is slowly clearing up, so she will wait until Jan also.

Cheers

Mandy