PDA

View Full Version : Foal test predictor doing strange t

MandyE
31-12-04, 08:19 PM
Here's a curly one for all of you who've used the Foal Test Predictor kit which measures the calcium levels in the milk.

Started testing our mare three weeks ago, she is not due for two weeks yet but has been bagged up for a while, so did a preliminary test which gave a nill result.

Thursday last week, the 23rd, she had a bit of wax, so I did another test, and it came up with 65ppm. Good, we're on scale! Next day she was running milk, so I tested again, and got 125ppm. Not thinking she'd do anything on christmas day, I didn't get to test her again till Boxing Day, when she'd dropped to 110ppm. Normal, the booklet said, so I tested her the next day, and she'd dropped again. She'd stopped dripping milk on Christmas day. Anyway, I've tested her every day, and she's DROPPING in calcium levels each day. So yesterday didn't test her, waiting for her to look like she's getting close again, today she was running milk so tested again, this time she's only JUST on scale!

Has anyone else had this experience???!!! I'm following the instructions to the letter, and tomorrow will ring Edwards who sell the kit to see what they say, but it seems very strange to me! The only thing I can think of, is that she was starting to move last week, then the weather changed and she shut down with the low pressure system, and has changed her mind. She's showing all the other obvious signs, such as being very tight and full in the bag, teats full and dripping milk, belly low, and floppy around the tail etc.

Tomorrow I pick up a foaling alarm, which will help me rest a bit easier, but this is the first time I've used the test kit so I was hoping that there are some people out there more experienced with it than me!

Thanks in advance guys, Lily and I will thank you for it, and so will hubby, lol!

Mandy

pagan
01-01-05, 12:00 AM
Sorry, can't help with the test kit - I have one but haven't had to use it yet. I will be very interested in the outcome. The only hlep I can offer is to sit with the impending mum!!. Good luck with her, would be very interested to hear the outcome. Pagan

MandyE
01-01-05, 04:22 PM
Well the good news is Pagan, she's on the way up again, thank goodness! I thought I must have been doing something wrong, lol!

The foaling alarm is safely installed, so just hope she doesn't give me too many false alarms ;-)

She was running milk again today, so I took the safe option and stripped her out, colour of the milk looks good so at least I'll have some put by for when the foal arrives.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Mandy