PDA

View Full Version : help

lissa_138
06-01-05, 02:40 PM
Hello everyone i am only new to this my mare ended up in the same paddock as my arab stallion. This may sound silly but i have no idea what to look for she seems to have a clearish white liquid coming out her teats i only noticed this the other day as she had a tick on her teat and i accidently squeezed it and i got squirted. Could this be milk? She would be approx 7 - 8 months pregnant. Please help

MandyE
06-01-05, 05:06 PM
Well lissa, I'm still fairly new to the breeding game too, but it sounds to me like you need to get a vet look at your mare as she's probably in foal!

The vet can either do a manual palpatation, or an ultrasound to see if the mare is in foal. I'd highly recommend this, because if she IS in foal, 7-8 months is a bit too early for her to be bagging up and having milk, but this can be an indicator of twins, in which case she may abort and will need vet attention. Best if you know.

For her health's sake, and your sanity, I'd strongly suggest a visit from the vet is highly appropriate. If she is in foal, the vet may be able to give you an approximate due date, and tell you what to look for.

Of course, she could have a phantom pregnancy, or another possibility is that if she's had a foal before (in the last year or perhaps two), she may still have some lactation happening. My mare whose colt was weaned back in June still has some milk, and I know someone who has a mare who had a foal about 10 years ago, who stil produces milk! So it's not out of the question. If you know the history of the mare and she's never foaled, then I'd be definately calling the vet, RIGHT NOW!

Good luck

Mandy

pagan
07-01-05, 04:57 AM
Lissa, even non-pregnant mares can produce a clearish/slightly white liquid. Are you confident she is pregnant? If not, get the Vet to examine her. At this stage of 'pregnancy' an ultrasound is not much use but a manual examination should help because the Vet probably won't be able to feel the uterus at all! If uterus cannot be easily identified it is because it is weighed down and low in the abdomen, therefore pregnant.
If she has not increased in the size of her udder and there are no other signs, I don't think you should be worried. But if in doubt or worried about the situation, get the Vet for confirmation of pregnancy and reassurance. cheers, Pagan