PDA

View Full Version : Putting pregnant mares with gelding

as41
11-01-05, 06:20 AM
Can i put my pregnant mare in paddock with a gelding??????What about in the paddock next to a gelding or another stallion? Is this far enought appart. Also, my mare has lots and lotsof green pasture to feed on...should I give her additional nutrients also???

waterlily
11-01-05, 03:27 PM
My pregnant mare is surrounded by geldings but they are not in her paddock only beside. Its best though if they cant get contact (electric fence) as I found when she came back from stud that they would not leave her alone and kept sniffing under her tail.
I would definitely feed a diet balancing pellet as pasture alone may not be enough. A balanced diet will assist your foals correct development. If you have a lot of pasture choose a pellet designed for mares in foal that you do not have to feed large quantites of. For example All phase you only feed about 1kg per day, Prydes Easifeed about 0.5-1kg depending on the stage of pregnancy. Some of the other pellets I noticed that you need to feed up to 3kg to provide the level of minerals and vitamins etc.

EA
12-01-05, 04:04 AM
THere is no problem putting your gelding in with the pregnant mare, even colts are ok. In the wild they dont have any fences separating them. Really depends on the facilities you have, how big the paddocks are etc.

I would recommend that you give some supplemental feed, but again it depends on the quality of the pasture your mare is on and how well she is doing. Personally I dont like any pelleted feed as it is made with too many fillers, so we feed a natural diet, but really it is up to you. If you need more info I think 4 aces put out a video on mare care and foaling that may be useful to you.

Bats_79
12-01-05, 12:31 PM
And you want to take the gelding away well before foaling. This gives the mare time to settle down to the changed environment prior to baby's arrival.

Geldings are notoriously jealous and strange creatures and it is best to keep them away from foals and young fillies.