PDA

View Full Version : is it worth breeding

krazykalista
15-01-05, 08:50 AM
i have a 12 year old thoroughbred mare, okay breeding, good jumper, lovely temperment. wanted to know whether it was worth breeding her or not and if so, what to look for with a stallion etc

gramoulis
15-01-05, 12:45 PM
If you are questioning if it is worth it or not the answer is probably no its not worth it. it is costly and often it results in heartache and dissapointment.you say your mare is of ok breeding. I think breeding stock should be quility animals, sound in body and mind. if you want to breed look at the big picture. ok so you decide that the mare is suitable. so you look for a stallion and find one you like. 1st vet exam pre service, srvice fee, another vet exam (preg test) finally your foal is born hopefully with no complications(after months of good feed for your mare). so you have a foal. have you handled foals before? can you halter break? do you know what to feed? what do you want to do with this foal in the future? you need to know the answers to all these questions before you breed as it can be fantastic and rewarding but it can be expensive and heartbreaking as well. i wish you good luck in what ever you choose

bunyip1
10-02-05, 02:08 PM
I 'second' the comments from the first respondant and add the following...

What type of horse are you wanting to breed? - dressage, jumper, pleasure... the list is vast!

Why do you want to breed from, what sounds like a very ordinary horse?

Stallions come in all shapes and sizes depending on what you are after and it sounds like you don't know what you want!

It is a huge mistake on the part of many amatuer breeders to think that the stallion only makes a great foal. The Europeans (which undoubtably breed the best performance horses) have known for decades that the mare line is frequently more important.

I think you should stay away from breeding until YOU determine what you want - I can't advise you on that !

wazmons
10-02-05, 04:58 PM
You've given a very vague description of the mare. As previous posters have advised the mare makes up the majority of the resultant foal. As I haven't seen the mare I can't comment on her conformation, temprement and ability. All I can say is take a good hard look at her (maybe ask a reputable breeder or vet for an unbiased opinion) and asess whether she would produce a good foal. A great temprement is a good start but as she's a TB a OK pedigree doesn't mean a lot unless you are wanting to breed a galloper. Does she have any more registrations ie AWHA, ISSA etc?

The next task is to find a stallion who will compensate for any conformational shortcomings she might have or that will strenghten her good traits. With breeding you should look to produce an animal that surpasses it's parents. Go and look at any stallions you are interested in and also look at their progeny.

Another important question is WHY do you want to breed? If it's because foals are cute and the mare isn't bad I'd say don't. Breeding is an expensive and often dangerous business. You will be out of pocket for stud and vet fees just to start with, other expenses occur throughout the pregnancy and raising of the foal. If there are any complications then there will be even more expenses. After all the costs and time involved you might not even get a live foal or the mare might have problems.

Can you provide a safe environment for the broodmare and later foal? Accidents can and do happen to mares and foals. If you are lucky and your mare foals a healthy bubs, what then? Are you experienced enough to handle youngstock or know somebody who is? Do you have facilities to safely wean and handle foals? Youngstock require careful diets and constant maintainence with regards to worming, feet and teeth. If it's a colt, it will probably require gelding.

Do you want a future riding horse? Your best option then is to go out and buy one. It WILL work out cheaper than breeding and waiting for the foal to grow up. I bred my mare four years ago and her first filly is yet to go under saddle. Can you wait that long?

Do you perhaps want to breed to make a profit? Like I said previously breeding is expensive. There are hidden costs. You will be looking to care for the mare for the 11 months she is in foal and then until the foal is old enough to be weaned. Can you recoup all your expenses and make a profit? That's why performance stud stock is often so expensive.

I realise that parts of this sound harsh, it's not meant to be. I have bred two fillies myself, but, I was brutally honest about my mare and went to a lot of trouble to select suitable stallions for my mare that also suited my discipline (dressage). I was also aware of all the costs involved. Luckily my mare foaled safely both times with no complications or added expenses, even then it was an expensive business. I don't regret it but I was also very lucky that both my girls were born healthy and sound (even if I was a bit disappointed with the lack of height with one).

This is quite a long winded post when I could have summed it up as expensive, risky and often heartbreaking. I would be interested in hearing a bit more about your mare and what you do with her/ want to do with the foal.

If you'd like to discuss this off the forum please send me a pm.

gramoulis
04-04-05, 01:21 PM
go to your local knackery and purchase yourself a weanling. you will find out how much of a pain they can be. they are difficult to handle they need proper feeding, proper fencing cause belive me if you dont have good fencing they will either get out or get injuries( i know of a yearling who went under barbed wired and ripped a flap of skin off down his back from his wither to his tail it scared very badly).....its not all fun and games raising a foal if you manage to get through the pregnancy and the birth with no problems. it is very hard work having babies do you know how to holter break and handle a baby they dont come out halter trained they also dont pick up their feet or wear rugs... everything is new and scary to a baby and you have to be knowledgable enough to guide them through it.... it can also be very rewarding to breed your own to break them in and to take them out to compete ect and hope that they do well but it is ALOT OF WORK.......go to the sales and see how many unwanted and unhandled babies are going through the ring because people didnt relise the cost or managment involved its very sad as most of these animals are sold to the knackary and then are killed ....im not saying that you are not capable or knowledgable enough to breed your own but really consider it

Aby
13-04-05, 08:09 AM
It does look impressive some of the WB prices however, it is only the big studs that get big prices for a few of their select foals. It doesn't matter if you use the fancy stallion, you will be lucky to fluke a good price. In reality the price of producing a foal rarely returns the money invested. You do it for the love of it, or if you want to burn money.