PDA

View Full Version : Overdue foal

geegee
21-01-05, 04:18 AM
How far will a mare go overdue without any problems. I have a maiden mare that doesn't seem to realise that she is supposed to actually give birth to her foal. She was artificially inseminated by frozen semen so I am aware of the exact date she was inpregnated. She is now 18 days overdue. I have had her preg tested a week ago, and she was definitely in foal with a live foal, however she just doesn't seem to be bagging up in the udder with milk, and doesn't seem to be aware that she is supposed to actually foal.
I was just wondering how far they can go overdue, and when the milk might come in, and as to whether the foal may be in danger and need to be induced.

pagan
21-01-05, 09:30 AM
I delivered a foal at 13 months and 1 week gestation and she was perfect. Think the 'book' says anywhere from 320days to 360days. I do not know what is the longest gestation - grab a Guinness Book of Records. Very dodgy inducing foals, never a good plan. What your mare scanned at 14 - 17 days to confirm a SINGLE pregnancy? Mares can bag up very late, sometimes within 15 minutes of delivery.
Looks like you are going to be on at least hourly checks.
Good luck with her, I'd be really interested to know the result. Pagan

MandyE
21-01-05, 06:02 PM
gee gee, I was talking to a friend yesterday who used to work at a TB stud, foaling down, and she worked with 200 mares a season, for 10 years, so is pretty experienced!

She was saying they'd had foals go 4 to 6 weeks over with no ill effects, and she also said that only 30-40% of mares go by the textbook!

I was asking her a different question about my maiden mare, who is due on Saturday (chilled insemination), and she started to run her milk two days before christmas, and who I think will actually foal tonight, going by her behaviour! I've already been out to check her twice with the alarm going off, lol! She's a very grumpy lady, no doubt about that *g*

With maiden's there's DEFINATELY no rules! Mine has lost all her colostrum, so I need to bottle feed the foal colostrum within the first twelve hours.

My friend said people used to ring her Stud Manager and say, 'when will my mare foal', and his reply was, 'when she foals"! As Pagan said, very dicey inducing foals, it can be done, but there's risks.

Some mares don't get much of an udder, and may not even wax. My maiden mare last year bagged up, but not a great deal, and hardly had any wax at all, just two little crusty drops on the end of each teat. The first mare who foaled this year waxed for two days, then ran her milk for three before she foaled. We had to milk her out so we could preserve some colostrum.

Look for other signs, such as her tummy dropping (she will appear sunken at the top of her flanks), getting floppy and soft around the top of her tail, and the muscles of her rump on either side of her spine will 'flatten' - I wasn't sure what this was supposed to look like from descriptions, as my last two mares who foaled didn't really show this clearly due to their shape, but the mare about to foal has very clearly flattened in her rump (she's part arab and normally very round in the rump) so now I have a clearer picture. People have told me to look at the vulva, if it lengthens and looks swollen, she's getting closer, but my mares don't seem to really show a difference as this can change many times throughout the day (yes, I spend lots of time looking under tails, lol!).

Good luck, it's very nerve wracking for that first foal!

geegee
22-01-05, 03:40 AM
Thanks that helps heaps. I hope it won't be too much longer, as yes it is very nerve wracking and I just want it out ! I think she just likes me getting up during the night several times and checking on her and giving her a carrot. She does have a foaling alarm but just to be sure !

kaz2769
28-01-05, 10:31 AM
Hi

Dont panic, my frozen baby arrived 5 1/2 weeks overdue, vets scanned at 4 weeks over with the thought of inducing, but said there were risks either way and the foal did not look that big. A healthy colt finally arrived and he was huge! will make over 17hh. He was certainly worth all the wait and all the sleepless nights.

pagan
28-01-05, 03:38 PM
Has that mare foaled yet??? Pagan

MandyE
28-01-05, 05:06 PM
Yes, I've been wondering the same thing..

My mare foaled on Saturday evening, still in daylight (she wanted an audience, lol!), right on her due date. A very little filly, a bit underdone to my eye, but the mare was a maiden. And surprise surprise, the mare produced colostrum at the 11th hour! So thank goodness I didn't need to bottle feed powdered stuff!

pagan
29-01-05, 05:35 AM
Congratulations! Very civilised mare. post piccies, please. Pagan

geegee
02-02-05, 06:35 AM
No the little witch still has not foaled. Now 30 days overdue, and still not bagging up in udder.
She is stressing me out! I wonder if frozen semen tends to produce late foals ! any suggestions

pagan
03-02-05, 08:21 AM
Hang in there. The funnest mare I had went 12 months and 1 week!! Stand with your hand towards the back of her flank (with a gin or cuppa), fingers spread, for about fifteen minutes. If you can feel 'butterflies' baby is still wriggling. If not I suppose get the Vet out to do a rectal in an attempt to discern movement. Otherwise, be patient with fingers crossed. Pagan

Integrity
05-02-05, 01:47 PM
wowee chris.. what breeding? Cheers..