PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Sport horses

jinks
22-01-05, 06:37 AM
I own a 4yo TB mare. she is 17.hh and nice medium build. I have always liked the idea of breeding my own horse. I am interested in either a putting a clyde to her or an irish sport horse.
1. will she be too big
2.does anyone likes/dislikes about the cross
3. does anyone know of or can the remommend any cheap stallions in SA
Would like to breed an eventer

Fetlock
24-01-05, 04:31 PM
Jinks
post me your email addy and I will email you some information, rather than post in here.
TA.

jinks
25-01-05, 06:10 AM
silla_au@yahoo.com

louis
27-01-05, 06:27 AM
If you are wanting an event horse WHY would you be crossing her with a clydesdale?? Sorry but I dont understand why you would be wanting to breed a potentially very heavy horse for eventing, trail riding maybe but not eventing. They also have a reputation for being very spooky which isnt really what you want to go x-country on, careful yes but not wanting to find an out all the time. If you are wanting to cross her with a colder blood, why not a warmblood, there are now some very good jumping blood horses standing in SA, and not all of them are over $1000.

Werdun
28-01-05, 07:02 AM
ISH x tBs are consistently lovely heavier hunter-type horses and they have a very user-friendly temperament as do the TB x Percheron crosses.

Clydesdales are *generally* calm and nicely tempered (keep in mind that they don't take the a*holes out in public), TBs generally have a very workable willing temperament. But cross the two together and something goes haywire. Nearly every TB x Clydie I have had anything to do with is hot as hell! Not necessarily difficult or spooky (but that too sometimes!), but HOT!

I spent many years as a whipper-in on the hunt scene so I have had a *lot* to do with all these types of horses (FWIW, for Australian hunting, they are great as field horses but not as hunt servants' horses because of the lack of speed)

I would recommend you contact Megan Jones as she breeds ISHs and as you probably know, her horses are out doing wonderful things. I believe she stands more than one stallion now.

For a more modern type with some bone, there is always the WB. You may be surprised to know how many good WB stallions are standing at stud in SA for under $1000. Shop around!

Katherine

Alison_21
02-02-05, 04:07 AM
If you are interested I have a really nice WB stallion in Sa under $1000. He is producing a lovely cross which would be suitable for eventing. He is also 17hh. email me if you are interested alisonjohn@bigpond.com

Scoot
02-02-05, 05:30 AM
I also recomend the ISH. I have A 7yo mare, she hadn't done a lot before I got her. But she has the best temperament, very smart and her jumping ability is amazing.