PDA

View Full Version : 'Walk in' Breeding?

Findarah2
15-02-05, 08:18 AM
What do people thing of 'Walk in' breeding? Do you think it's too stressing for the mare, or worth doing. I want to do it co's i hate my horse staying at the stud when i cant be there!
Thanks, Findarah

Dutch
15-02-05, 01:05 PM
I have found it to be very successful over the last few years. Most mares are happiest at home so getting them served and then taken straight back home seems to be less stressful than putting them into a foreign environment.

Findarah2
16-02-05, 02:21 AM
Thanks, i gonna do it then!!!

pagan
16-02-05, 07:52 AM
It's a great plan. Stallion owners don't need to worry about extra mares and I love because I hate my horses being away. Unless you know exactly when your mare is cycling, might be a good idea to have an ultrasound to check follicle size etc so you can be pretty confident that she with get in foal on one serve. Unless of course you live nearby and can just take her back and forth. Good luck with her.
PS Did anyone take you up on the offer of a foster mare? Hope you (and mare) are feeling better now.

Findarah2
16-02-05, 09:29 AM
Thanks, yeah i think i will get her an ultrasound, the stud lives a fear way away, so yeah. We didnt find a a foal, but my mare is happy again now, so am i. She is soooo hypo now, maybe she was quiet co's she was in foal! I'll ring the vet to help me, & i might pg her.
Thanks.