PDA

View Full Version : riding pregnant mares

as41
17-03-05, 12:46 AM
How long can you ride pregnant mares for. Can I take mine on a mild camping trip or would the travel/moving be harmful and risky?

Stirling
17-03-05, 01:24 PM
If your mare was being worked and fit when she went in foal then riding her well into her pregnancy should not harm her, in fact it should keep her fit and in theory be an easier birth. Mare dependent really, she will start to tell you when it is not comfortable to be saddled/girthed and ridden, but light work should not hurt ~ listen to your mare. As for the travelling, that depends on how far along she is, some say your shouldn't travel mares within X number of days of going in foal, but many people travel mares to and from studs once confirmed pregnant. Some wouldn't travel mares unless it is necessary. I worked my mare until she was 6 mths and she started to let me know cantering was not confortable, then we reduced the work to just light exercise for a another 2 months. She loved all the attention and it did her no harm, she was only 5.

Werdun
21-03-05, 12:47 PM
One answer...it depends on the mare! :-)

I have heard of one guy who bought a mare at a sale, played in an A grade polo match some months later and the following day walked out to find it suckling a colt! Turned out the mare had been running with a top polo stallion and the people had sold her as she never got in foal. When they found out she'd had a colt, they promptly demanded more money! Both mare and foal were fine...in fact the colt grew up to be quite a good playing polo pony.

OTOH, after I put one of my mares in foal, I decided I'd start riding her (hadn't been ridden for several years), get her going and do some cubhunting on her (I was whipper in) to save my good horse for later. The plan was to hunt her early on while the going was gentle until it became too much for her. Well, I didn't really know the mare that well back then!!! You can look at her at 3 months and tell that she's in foal so she got too big to ride before I even had a chance to cubhunt her!!! As it was she nearly sliced her foot off about that time and to ride her now would open the scar.

But it gives you an idea of just how different mares can be!!! If the going is easy, the rider's not too heavy and it is just walking with maybe a gentle trot she should be fine.

Katherine

supercrunch
22-03-05, 02:45 PM
MANY MARES ARE CURRENTLY RACING WHILE IN FOAL. 3 YEARS AGO A MARE RACED IN THE MELBOURNE CUP. ( UNBELIEVABLE HEY)