PDA

View Full Version : Mares cycling

Nessie
17-03-05, 07:39 AM
Hi there
I just recently got my mare back from on lease, and she had been in with a yearling (or slightly older) colt.
I was wondering if it was possible that she is infoal? When do colts become sexually mature?
She has come into season today (the 16th), and someone told me if she cycles then she shouldn't be infoal.
Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Please Email methchick12@yahoo.com (or reply to this)
Thanks
Nessie

Alpeony
17-03-05, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't worry Nessie.
Whilst, I believe, that yearling colts are capable of siring foals I should think that if your mare is in season then the chances are microscopic that she is in foal.
Enjoy having her home and don't give it another thought. :)

Nessie
17-03-05, 01:23 PM
Thanks so much for your reply!
Thats good.. i really don't really need another horse to look after! I already have 4 plus a foal!
I didn't think that it was possible seeing that she is cycling now.
Cheers
Nessie

Kallita
17-03-05, 04:29 PM
sorry but mares can cycle even when preggers. Make sure and get her preg tested. You dont want her in foal and not know, just in case something goes wrong ie twins etc

MandyE
27-03-05, 04:11 PM
Well yes, they can, but usually the 'show' isn't as obvious, and the general demeanour changes from the mare's normal in-season behaviour.

If your mare is showing her absolutely normal 'cycling' behaviour, and is squatting and squirting everywhere with no provocation (ie, no stallion or gelding nearby), then chances are she's not in foal.

It IS possible for yearlings to sire foals, I asked several vets this same question as I thought my 11 month old colt had caught my 2yo filly - we pulled her out when we caught him mounting her and he'd already had a try before we saw him as she'd kicked him - and I was sure she was in foal, as she didn't really cycle when we put her out in the paddock with the 'big' horses.

Finally got her scanned two weeks ago (after 3 months), as at first I thought 'no', then looking at her profile recently, she seemed to be quite low slung in the belly, so I thought 'oh oh, here we go!', but no, she was empty, phew! It's just her awkward growth stages which make her look all pot bellied and preggy, lol!