PDA

View Full Version : Colour Breeding

macrannoch
01-04-05, 05:23 AM
I am and have been trying to research the genetic side of Colour breeding, and WOW it is complicated.

I would love it if someone with knowledge on the matter can try to explain it to me.

I have a Pretty Chestnut Solid Pinto Mare.

Her Sire is a loud chestnut over and her Dam is a Bay Tobiano. What are the chances of my mare throwing a Paint? Do I have to put her to a Paint to have a paint or is there a chance that she could throw one even if put to another solid. (I am thinking of putting her in foal, but I do not want a paint, love them, just would prefer not to have one)

Also I would love to increase the chances of her having a Dun/Buckskin, and have been told that to increase the chance I need to put her to a Dun as Duns throw the needed gene, but Buckskins donít, What about a Grulla????

If by chance I put her to a Dun to increase the possibility of having one, what would I be most likely to get?

Thank for any help.

NZD
01-04-05, 01:50 PM
These web sites may be of interest?

http://www.equinecolor.com/dun.html

http://www.equinecolor.com/links.html

And I think your chances of getting a coloured horse would be 50/50, since she is from two coloureds. No expert though......

NZD
01-04-05, 01:57 PM
And yes Dun carries the Dun gene but buckskins don't, buckskins are the result of a dilute colour (cremello x with bay, brown or black). Buckskins don't usually have a doral stripe but Duns do, as well as leg barring etc.

Werdun
02-04-05, 08:50 AM
Try and get hold of Jeanette Gower's "Horse Colour Explained"...you can also contact her via her website (she breeds stock horses in SA).

If you are going to breed a coloured horse, please familiarise yourself first with "lethal white" which can result from breeding overo x overo. Roan x roan can also produce this. The foals are born white, without a colon and die a very painful death soon after birth from not being able to defecate.

Genetics is complicated as it is, but when you start getting into coloured horses.....WHOA!!! Back up!!! Prepare for some study headaches!!

Katherine

macrannoch
02-04-05, 03:42 PM
Thanks Werdun

I have been and will continue to do my research.

If I decide to breed my mare, it will be for confirmation and temperament. I would prefer not to have a paint, but if she throws one, I really donít mind, I would just like to increase my chances of having a Dun, I love them, I like the buckskins as well, but I have a tendency for the Grullaís and the Duns.

I will try to track down a copy of the book you mentioned, I think when breeding you need to be informed, especially as I will be a first time breeder and my mare is a maiden.

I have been doing quite a bit of research on the Colour thing, but it is soooo confusing, just when I think I understand it (a bit) I read something else that puts me back at square one. I am still deciding on a Stallion, I have a lovely bay that I am interested in, but I am still looking into the Dun Stallions, that have been tested for a Particular gene (cant remember how to spell it so I wont even try)

I have had a couple people tell me that even if I out my mare to a solid Colour, she could throw a paint, and then I have had other people tell me, that she will only throw a paint if she is put to one, and both these people claim to know a lot about the Colour thing? Hence I am still confused

Thanks

Werdun
03-04-05, 07:47 AM
>I have had a couple people tell me that even if I out my
>mare to a solid Colour, she could throw a paint, and then I
>have had other people tell me, that she will only throw a
>paint if she is put to one, and both these people claim to
>know a lot about the Colour thing? Hence I am still
>confused

I honestly can't remember if it was 50% or 100% but I would say pretty confidently that it would be 50% given that the lethal white is when the foal receives overo (or roan) genes from both genes where one will simply produce that colour..which would go on to mean that even if you crossed with a paint, you could still have a 25% chance of producing a non-paint.

Anyone????

KAtherine