PDA

View Full Version : My lifetime wish at my wedding + we

as41
05-04-05, 07:58 AM
Hello

I am in need of advice from breeders. I am in the process of setting my wedding date and i have my mare due to foal in mid October. I wish to set my wedding date in early 2006 but my lifetime wish has been to ride my beloved mare up to the chapel for my wedding. So I need to set the date after the weaning of my foal.....When can I safely wean it/and or take my mare away from the foal for a few hours to ride her to the church?????????This is a big dilemma for me ? please post soon

Stirling
05-04-05, 08:07 AM
hmmmm... bit more info maybe... How old is this mare? Is this first foal?? Is she likely to bounce back into a riding shape quickly? When you say ride her up to the chapel, are we talking a stroll up the lane from the float? or a grand entrance cantering up the meadow? Wouldn't like to give you any suggestions without knowing a wee bit more.. Sounds like the fairy tale wedding dream!

Werdun
05-04-05, 08:13 AM
6 months is a fairly average weaning time which would make it mid April. Give a couple of weeks for test rides if you think you need it.

I'd love to hear what hubby-to-be tells all his friends when they ask him when the wedding is!!! "Those bloody horses...."

Katherine

EA
05-04-05, 09:50 AM
AS41 you can wean you foal from 3 months onwards without any issues whatsoever. I would leave 2-3 week past the due date in your calculations to allow for the mare being late foaling. the weaning process if you are fair to them both takes at least a week if not two weeks if you have them next to each other and wait for them to wander away on their own accord.

Alternatively you could just teach the foal to lead early and have someone lead the foal behind you when you ride the mare for your wedding. If the foal is around 3months old they are starting to get pretty independant and will not mind as long as they can see their mum. I have not ridden mares with foals on them, so it will depend on your mare, how you will go about having a few rides beforehand. probably in an arena with the foal loose would be ok if the mare is quite. I know we can handle mares with foals in the next paddock, and as long as they can see each other they dont seem to mind.

as41
06-04-05, 01:25 AM
Its her second foal and she is absolutely quiet. Late last year I rode her after 6 months almost no riding due to stallion servicing and moving house etc....so she is absolutely very reliable and I would think would not need too much riding in (if you know what I mean) after the foal is born. The Church is about 10km from the paddock and I was hoping to float her to the church and just rider (at a walk) the 300 mtrs driveway to the chapel. I would love to have the foal beside her but I am unsure about floating foals at this age??? Can i take her away from the foal for about 2 hours if planned and prepared for it without too much trouble?

EA
07-04-05, 02:27 AM
You can easily float foals after two weeks of age. really you can do it any age, but we find they cope best after two weeks, as they are a little more balanced on their feet.

I dont know how you go trying to separate them for a few hours, really that is likely to cause more problems than taking them together.