PDA

View Full Version : Insurance?? Who do you use

Paraiso
08-04-05, 03:35 AM
Who do you use for insurance of breeding stock and the unborn foal?

EA
08-04-05, 04:33 AM
we dont it is way too expensive to get mortality insurance. Especially if you are also trying to cover the loss of the foal, it is so risky the premiums are high. From memory it was 100/1000. So for a 10,000 foal you would be paying 1000, x 12 for the foals add the mares you quickly add up to nearly 40k.

For the numbers that we lose, which is usually 1-2 per year, we are ahead without this insurance. Depends on the value of the foal.

Paraiso
08-04-05, 07:08 AM
Thanks EA,

I do agree. But I am interested to know about insurance and frozen semen?

I am considering using frozen this year and I have heard people talking about..

insure the semen-- then when the mare scans +ve at 45days then they insure the unborn foal. Have you heard of this before?- I would think it would be costly and not end up so viable. But was interested to find out anyway.

Cheers

PS- what type of horses do you breed?

kt
08-04-05, 08:37 AM
I know that Wallace Insurance insurers unborn foals but I think it is about 17% of whatever value you place on the foal - ouch!
I think Logans Insurance also offer that kind of insurance.

EA
09-04-05, 01:05 AM
Insuring the semen is different to insuring the pregnancy. Most places that store your frozen for you will have it insured. But you need to check with you vet to make sure they have insurance. You should also buy insurance when you ship it. I have my own tank but I currently keep it at GV and pay a quarterly fee that includes insurance.

That just covers the cost of the semen if the tank runs out of nitrogen and the semen all thaws.

Most places that ship the semen can arrange the insurance for the duration of the shipping, which is not very expensive, around $5 per 1000 semen value. IHB always include insurance in the shipping.

Insuring the pregnancy once you have achieved one is a different thing and the insurance companys that KT mentioned can provide this service, but it is very expensive and I expect has so many loopholes in it. We simply dont see the value in this as per my post above.

We mostly breed showjumpers with frozen, but do breed some dressage horses. We breed around a dozen horses per year. The who breeds showjumper with frozen has some details on what we breed.

Paraiso
09-04-05, 05:07 AM
Thankyou EA, that helps me greatly. The frozen is all new to me.

You must have some pretty super types in your paddocks!

I am trying to decide weather to breed a SJ or Dressage horse from my WB mare I wish to use for the frozn. She a 16.1-2 cnt, 4 socks and a blaze, by 'Sagamore Grand Siegneur' (imp/exp 17hh Hessen- A grade SJ)and she is out of a mare by Valuta. She has 2 progeny in top dressage homes. I've been thinking about Briar if I was to go dressage. But I quite like Earl in the IHB catalouge....decisions!!

EA
09-04-05, 11:13 AM
Yes I do have a few that bring a smile to my face.

I dont really know the stallion that your horse is by, but really it depends on what you want from the breeding a jumper or dressage horse. Briar is a lovely horse and has had some nice foals here. You can certainly spend alot of money looking at the Dare I say it Semen Catalogue's.