PDA

View Full Version : danger periods for preg mare

waterlily
13-04-05, 01:04 PM
I understand that there are certain periods during the mare's pregnancy during which they are more likely to abort than others. Can anyone tell me when these times are?

EA
14-04-05, 01:37 AM
In general it it upto 40 days, as this is the time it takes for the embryo to implant onto the uterus wall. Before this time it is floating and more prone to damage

waterlily
14-04-05, 11:50 AM
Thanks EA we are past this stage now so hopefully it will be ok but I guess I was just wondering!

EA
15-04-05, 01:30 AM
You should be fine now. That is the whole reason that usually service fees etc are due on 45 day preg test.

One thing to be cautious of late the term of the mare is that it doesnt come in contact with too many foreign horses or horses that are moving on and off the property alot, as equine Herpes is a major cause of late term abortion. You may have horses come onto the property that dont show any symptoms but carry the virus. While the disease has very little impact on the mature horse and may just look like a mild cold if anything at all it is very bad for pregnant mares.

Stirling
15-04-05, 02:08 AM
EA,

Interesting you should comment about the equine Herpes virus, I have meant to post a few times and ask opinions about it.

I have come across dozens of web sites in the USA about vacinations, the yanks seem to vacinate for everything. I have only ever vacinated for tetanus and strangles... Do you as a breeder vacinate for anything else here in Oz?

Cheers
Stirling

EA
15-04-05, 03:55 AM
Stirling, no we dont. We vaccinate for tetnus only. Mainly because the wounds most prone to this infection are small puncture wounds that could go unnoticed. Big gaping cuts are unlikely to get tetnus, so I do this one religiously. I do it annually, although I think it can last several years.

I dont vaccinate against strangles.

I have to refer back to my notes but i dont think there are vaccines for all the herpes strains, and I know there isnt one for the type that causes late term abortion. If you are really interested I can look at my notes and get all the strains for you.

there is another virus, again you cannot immunize against but can affect foetal development. I dont even remember the name of it, but we did actually get that one in one mare. We were very fortunate as it is apparently very common and usually affects the whole herd. We only had one mare affected. the foal was born with one eye, as this is what was developing at the time.

Equine herpes is transmitted via other horses or people handling infected horses, so really if you are breeding you have to limit the horses that are introduced to the property, even quarantining them for several days isnt going to help you find a carrier. Having to keep breeding mares at an agistment property where horses are coming and going all the time, is pretty much a recipie for disaster and really quite high risk. So we dont agist, and horses just get moved between our properties. new ones go to the property where we live first for a time then we will move them to Farm as we call it after a period of time.

Another thing I was advised to do was to separate the broodmare band into several different paddocks, so if one group got infected you didnt lose the lot.

Stirling
15-04-05, 04:56 AM
Thanks EA,

Very informative! I too vac. tetanus every year to the day, for the cost it is just not worth the risk of remembering every few years. I used to only vac strangles in my competition horse/s that were going to be in contact with other horses at comps, in strange stables etc. Then when I got my mares a couple of years ago, my vet advised that we do strangles in them as well. I did so only in case I decided to take any of the girls to a stud facility and therefore coming in contact with unknown quantities!

As it turns out, I have only taken 1 off my property the other 2 have had everything done here at home, where I can control things. I don't often have other peoples horses here, but do have specific rail yards set away from contact with all my other neds.

I was just interested what others are doing down here, as some of the sites I have been in the US, a couple of forums as well, my god, they seem to be jabbing for at least 6 different things, West Nile is the hottest topic, and some of the results in brood herds have been just horrific. Some are even vacinating for botulism, they all seem to have Horse Passports with records of all the vacines given!

I was just shaking my head and thinking, with my luck, I spend the $300 a year on all these vacinations (per horse) and have my horse struck by lightening!!!

Thanks again!

Bats_79
15-04-05, 07:58 AM
I thought I would post because I have gone through the horror of ALL my horses under 10 getting the OTHER herpies virus - the respiritory one. The fear of abortion has been pretty intense even though the vet keeps telling me its not the abortive strain.

Nearly all the young horses have had it once and apart from one colt that couldn't shake the snotty nose (colloidal silver seems to be working) it seems to have run its course.

But I was asking the vet yesterday about "times" when the mares might be most at risk. Between 30 & 45 days except for the herpies virus is the reply. Arrh.

Stirling our horses had horrible reactions to many of the vaccinations they got in the US. Pigeon Fever was doing the rounds when we first took horses over and the vaccinations seemed as bad as the illness but we were assured that as our horses would have no resistance to any variation of the disease vaccination was a nessecity. The vaccinations for rabies were pretty scary too.

Stirling
15-04-05, 08:12 AM
Thanks Bats,

Thats sounds like a nightmare for you, the OTHER herpes, what do you do for it?? can you vacinate for it???

I'm also a little confused about the last para, where about are you? Oz or US?

waterlily
15-04-05, 11:24 AM
I dont want to seem ignorant but can this herpes virus can be carried by geldings or just breeding horses? I only have geldings plus my one mare and the agisted horses are kept separate.

MP
15-04-05, 01:06 PM
I've vaccinated against the herpes virus that causes abortion and respiratory infection. Our local vet who services all the large studs swears by it.

After seeing a friend loose a foal 6 weeks prior to the due date, itís worth every cent.

EA
16-04-05, 12:09 AM
Yes any horse can be a carrier, even geldings.

There are three strains of the virus

Type 1 Causes Colds and abortion
Type 2 Swelling in Salivary glands/Colds
Type 3 Blister on Genitals (equivalent to cold sores)

Type 3 is also known as Coital Exanthema.

I was not aware of any vaccine for this but I will ask about it.

Do you happen to remember what the vaccine was called.