PDA

View Full Version : Is my mare too old?

S*T*O*L*I (Guest)
28-08-01, 06:44 AM
I have a QH x Welsh B mare who is 14hh and 15yo this year. I was thinking of putting her in foal, but I am worried about her age. Is she too old?
She has never had a foal before, and that is what concerns me.
thanks

dragonlady
28-08-01, 08:44 AM
No, she's not too old. I would, however, get the vet to give her an examination to make sure everything's in working order & get a swab done. Even maiden mares can be harbouring a long term chronic infection which could stop them from conceiving. Good luck

Waterstar (Guest)
03-09-01, 02:29 PM
Hey Stolli! ;-)

I agree with dragon Lady, it's not too old. SOme people have different ideas on it, perhaps through bad experiances, but as of yet, I haven't heard or seen of anything bad happening to older mares in foal. Our youngest broodie is 5 our oldest is 23 (it's her last foal this year) Nature obviously intended them to keep breeding otherwise they would have stopped producing eggs!
So, get her checked out by a vet, make sure everything is in working order, no cysts or anything that could hinder the process of getting pregnant!
Let me know which stallion you choose and how things go!

Pegasus (Guest)
07-09-01, 02:39 PM
Very true Waterstar and Dragon Lady. My mare is 15yrs and is just about to have (2 days to go to due date)her first foal.
She has been so fit and healthy throughout the pregnancy and one very happy and contented mare.

If your mare is fit and well go for it.

Welshie (Guest)
08-09-01, 10:41 AM
Nature has a way of telling you when a mare is too old. And who are we to argue with nature? A great number of broodmares go on into their twenties.

indigo
07-10-01, 12:02 PM
No way, give it a go and see what happens. I know of mares that have successfully bred at the age of 25 years of age and had now problems.

kizmet
09-10-01, 01:03 AM
Hi Stolli,
I agree with everyone else here, 15 is certainly not too old for a mare to have her first foal. One of my best mares was only recently retired from stud when she produced her 19th foal at the age of 28! She has always been very fit and healthy, she always remained in excellent condition and fed her foals well!
Good Luck!

Ali (Guest)
09-10-01, 07:56 AM
I agree too. My 17 yo old mare has just had her second, the first she had two years ago, no problems at all. Go for it. And good luck.