PDA

View Full Version : Colour Genetics

Nativity (Guest)
07-11-01, 03:36 AM
I have a chesnut mare whose both parents are palomino. She is currently in foal to a thoroughbred stallion who is bay/brown dominant. Is it possible that I may get a dilute foal? I have been told that a horse must 'exhibit' the dilute to be able to pass it on. Is this correct ?

Mel (Guest)
08-11-01, 08:51 AM
You WONT get a dilute foal.Solid to solid will throw solid.
Good Luck with your future baby:)

Sway
17-11-01, 03:02 PM
You could maybe get a coloured foal, it may be a throw back. Have a look at the Palomino in Belcam Auction. Both his parents were solid

Colour Student (Guest)
20-11-01, 01:37 PM
You won't get a coloured foal, I guaruntee it.
The palomino with "solid" parents in the Belcam Auction has grey parents (assuming we're talking about the same one :-) ) and grey can hide a dilution. You don't get throwbacks with the creme dilution, ever. If a horse carries the creme gene, it will exhibit it, but it can be masked by grey. But since the original poster's mare was chestnut and served by a bay/brown stallion there is no grey or creme in either of these horses and there will be none in the foal. The foal will be chestnut, bay, brown or maybe black.

Nativity (Guest)
21-11-01, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the information. I thought that a horse must exhibit a dilute to be able to pass it on.
She is a chestnut with alot of white through her coat (flecks). As I don't believe in dying my horses I hope that my impending baby doesn't have it either. :-)

Danielle
29-03-05, 02:11 AM
I had a QH mare she was a liver chestnut her
Sire was a liver chestnut both his parents were Palamino and Her
Dam was a palamino
last year she had a colt to a palamino stallion and she had a chestnut colt

nancy
04-04-05, 03:24 PM
Sire PALOMINO || Dam PALOMINO
dilute X solid || solid X dilute {they both passed solid colours}

YOUR MARE|| THE STALLION
solid x solid || solid x solid

Because both your mare's parents passed on there solid colours your mare will only have solid colours to pass on.
solid X solid

If one parent passed a dilute and one passed a solid you would have a palomino or buckskin.
dilute X solid

If they both passed a dilute you would have a cremello or perlino.
dilute X dilute

this is how I got it explained to me. I have a chestnut mare like you and I was told she would produce palomino because her parents were. Anyway she has given us 2 chestnut fillies and I couldn't be happier.

I have bred the same palomino mare to the same palomino stallion 4 times and I have ended up with a chestnut, palomino and a cremello and anyones guess next season.
good luck with your foal.
Nancy

ziggy
20-04-05, 07:03 AM
I think you are going to get either palomino or buckskin foal. I have two palomino stallions and put to chestnut mares I have had mostly palomino with the rare chestnut. Put to black or brown/bay they have produced buckskin.

Cheers

sprthrsebreeder
04-07-05, 02:55 AM
My Arabian mare...a bay...crossed with a seemingly chestnut QH has produced a very interestingly coloured foal. It has bright reddish hair across the top of its neck,body and hind end...bright white hair under and around its tail, and bright..well sort of darkish pink (hard to describe) skin with mottling around its muzzle, and pink 'eyeliner' around both eyes. The underbody and legs are light cream colour....and he has 4 white socks and a blaze.
The QH's dam apparently threw quite a few palomino foals.
It's left me wondering how did this colour come out....any ideas?????

dutch
05-07-05, 03:39 AM
It sounds like you have a normal chestnut foal.

squid hill
06-07-05, 06:19 AM
Sporthorse.
You have a chestnut foal. Most are born that colour and I have found the lighter they are born, the darker they end up.
I had born that colour from a chest mare and pally stallion. It was 2 weeks before we knew what colour the foal was.
Yours is a chest.

cheers
www.squidhill.com

josie
07-07-05, 10:59 AM
A general comment ... checkout the book "Horse Colour Explained" it is excellent!

hazyponds
14-09-05, 05:05 AM
Hi, the chesnut is a recessive gene.. so the basic color genetics is chest chest... pally is actually chest chesnut plus a dilute factor
The tbred who is bay/brown.. may have a hidden chestnut gene.. in which case the foal would be ceshnut.. otherwise the foal will be brown

the only real variance is some burnt bucksins look solid.. and thats where some confusion can lie.. but there are no reg dilute tbreds in aust (there are in the US)

twinpines
14-09-05, 01:03 PM
We had an interestingly coloured foal last season, which I have only recently found out that the colouring is called a 'silver' dilution. The foal was by a black stallion who is by a chestnut sire. I don't know his dam sires colour for sure but it is most likely black as it's from a line of black horses. I probably could find it if I could be bothered. The dam was brown by a chestnut & bay. Anyway the foal would have been black without the dilution but he is actually chocolate with a silver tail (a few socks and stockings as well). He was born greyish colour and I wondered at the time if we had been sold donkey semen!!!! Lucky for him though he is much better looking than a donkey...I believe the dilution must have come through the chestnut line as apparently it can be carried by red gene but doesn't show in them. At this stage I don't know if it is the mare or stallion line carrying the dilution but I suspect the mare.

I read too that a buckskin carrying the dilution can look like a palomino as the black points go silver! As mention above though, they will never produce a palomino as their base colour is solid.

All quite interesting!

chris
09-11-05, 10:17 AM
A couple of questions for the colour genetic pro's..

Is the depth of coat colour in palominos genetically determined?
Ie - the stallion line Im interested in is a stunning deep gold palomino, is he likely to throw this shade or could it be any shade of palomino?

His son is cremello colt which means if I put my chestnut mare to him next season I will be guaranteed a palomino foal but same question as above - is colour depth genetic or 'luck' (dam is also a fairly dark palomino).

Also, is liver chestnut a seperate or altered gene to regular (sorrel) chestnut & what genetic make-up is invloved?

Colour genetics is a fascinating topic, hopefully with genetic testing & info available to everyone there will be fewer solid colour foals discarded because they are the wrong colour.

cheers.