PDA

View Full Version : Badley behaved colt!

Baci forever
30-10-04, 11:20 AM
the horse (http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=horse&v=56) i look after in the holidays (http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=holidays&v=56) a tb mare had her 2nd foal this year he was a gorgeous colt...but with the worst habets at 4 weeks old he was rearing up in our faces and trying to box us..well we had a problem because he was just getting worse so we called a horse (http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=horse&v=56) whisper guy and he said ok ill come out and how old is the colt after we said 5 weeks old the guy laughed and said ive gotta see this so he came out and coult not belive what he was seeing! he told us he was the biggest ##### of a horse (http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=horse&v=56) hes ever seen! but because hes been bred to be a racehorse this could be a good thing so the guy decided that he wouldt take all his spirt. After a week of the horse (http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=horse&v=56) whisper handling him he was an angle! we could put on a halter walk him around on a lead rope, back him up pick up his feet with no trobels. And he has been an angle ever since!

i was just woundering if anyone has had anything like thyis happen before??

thanks

MandyE
03-11-04, 02:25 PM
Whoa, what's with all the tags???!! Makes it a bit hard to read your post!

Anyway, after ploughing through your message, I have this to add!

I have a two week old colt who is by a warmblood stallion out of a very gentle, placid TB mare. I helped to birth the foal and bottle fed him his first colostrum as the mare had run her milk before the birth.

The foal is quite friendly and bold, he is used to people as he's been handled every day since his birth, and will come up to people in the paddock. However, he is quite playful and rather cheeky. I started out by scratching him on the chest, and by day 2, he was trying to rear over the top of me, and the mutual grooming when I scratched him turned into cheeky little nips by about day 4 or 5. So I simply stopped bending over in front of him (remove the temptation), and I've started treating him like another horse would. Ie, if he tries to nip me, I slap him on the neck, in the same way his mother would nip him back. If he puts his bum to me and threatens to 'hump' or kick out at me, I slap him sideways on the arse, just hard enough to make a noise but not hurt him - the noise is enough. He is still cheeky, and is also quite ticklish and will kick up if you touch his belly, but he is much less boistrous and quite a bit more respectful.

Tonight I put my arms around him and held him, he jumped around a fair bit but in the end he stood still and chewed. He is quite a character, but is one of those foals that you can't spend a lot of time mucking about with.

The colt I had last year was completely different, and after about a week, would step back out of my space with just my finger pressure on his chest, and was so totally 'uncolty' that he was more like a big teddy bear. He is now 11 months old and is still a little angel!

One thing I have noticed with these two colts, is that the gentle, well behaved one from last season has a mother who is a real alpha mare, and who put him back in his box from day 1, where the new colt's mother hardly ever puts her ears back at him and very seldom tells him off.

I have a 4yo mare by the same sire as the 2 week old colt, also out of a TB mare, and she was very much an 'alpha' type when she arrived here as a 2yo. We have had quite a few 'discussions' about how to do things and who is boss, and now she is firmly in her place, and is the nicest creature to be around. She does pull faces and snake at me sometimes, but it is all a big bluff. I do think however, if she came across someone she could walk over, she would revert to her dominant personality. Her mother was also a very placid, sweet natured mare. I love my girl to bits though, and her little brother is just like her, so I'm not too worried about his 'naughty' colty behaviour and I know I will have him 'very well behaved' by the time he is weaned and leaves home to go to new owners.

Baci, I'm glad you got someone to help you sort the colt out before he got too big and strong, it certainly makes it easier to do it at that age. If you are going to be having a bit to do with this colt, it will pay you to find out how your 'horse whisperer' (HATE that term!) handles the colt and uses his body language around the colt so you can learn how to keep on top of him.

Good luck!

Mandy

Baci forever
04-11-04, 05:05 AM
yer sorry about the tags my computer just does it sometimes automaticley!!!! very anoying! yer we have litle sessons with him each day and the 'horse whisperer' tought us all the things to do.
And with his mother shes an alfa mare and if any horse goes near her baby she will chuk a hugh hissie fit ears back stomping. but she would never hurt us or even give us a dirty look. what usualy happens is the little colt kicks his mum or something and she puts him in his place so he looks down at us and charges (well he used to all over now) But her fily last year was such an angle! i trusted her with my life. i hope her next one is a FILLY!!! dont like boys much lol! but i still love them all!

thanks for your help mandy

Boo
04-11-04, 10:37 AM
My last foal was out of a very laid back mare so of course the foal from day one has got to pretty much do what he likes in regards to mum. He is incredibly confident with people and new things and is actually better to handle if not handled much (gets pushy otherwise). I have sold his mum and recently brought him home from spelling and put him out with my 24yo retired gelding. My foal was paddocked with the gelding as a youngster with his mum, with no problems. Since its now currently just the 2 of them the old gelding has gotten incredibly narky with the youngster (managed to drop a mesh fence to a 45 degree angle when first reintroduced in adjoing yards in an attempt to 'kill' the foal). I ended up putting them out together and while the foal has several bite marks and seems to be a slow learner in respect to the old horses personal space he is learning - and is now generally lovely to handle.

Goodluck with your youngster

susan
09-01-05, 07:10 AM
oh my gosh, thank goodness I have found someone who has a terror like mine. My colt is now 8 months old. The day after he was born the vet came out and said what in the world do you have here. He was born at an enormous size. Not a baby by any means. Anyhow at 3 months I was taking him out of the birthing stall to work him. I was about 10 feet from him and never knew what hit me. He kicked me in the face and broke my nose not to mention spliting my nose apart in three diferent places. I have had two surgeries since leaving the inital visit to the emergency room that night. In any case he is growing to no end. At six months he was 14.2 hands and weighed 624 lbs. He continues to be one big monster. If you look at him while he is eating he wants to buck and kick. He digs at the ground and is almost impossible. He constantly runs my "rescue" horse who is to be believed to be 35 years old. I have a friend who is working with him on ground work and so forth, but he is extremly rebelous. Just the other day he walked up behind me on the way to feeding him and tried to bite me. Thank goodness I had a lot of clothes on or he would of taken a chunk out of my elbow. I am considering on gelding him very soon since that is suposed to mellow him out a little bit. In the mean time if you have any advice on which way to turn I would really appreciate it. Please don't get me wrong, we love him very much. We breed my mare so that my son would have a horse from birth. My mare is Registered Quarter horse at 16.1 hands weighing usually 1153 lbs. I did a lot of reseach on the stud. He is a Registerd Paint at about 15.2 hands. Of couse I was hoping for a full blown paint with blue eyes. Not maturing more than about 15.5 hands. The stud is almost 100% white with a very small patch of Champaign on his hip and two blue eyes. Sundance came out almost identical to his mom. Whith the exception of 4 white soxs. Again we love him dearly. I have heard at 8 months he is to young for sending him away for real training, however, at this point I feel that if something major doesn't happen soon he is just going to continue to be a bully and really hurt someone.

Any advice is welcome!

Sincerly,
Susan

Biscay72
12-01-05, 11:40 AM
Hi,
Well, I had a t/b who had a q/h colt ! Well what an adorable monster he was ! He was handled from birth, and brushed etc and was fine, but put that halter on, and watch out ! He was dominant, cheeky at the best of times. HIs favourite trick was to rear up and lash out at you, hence a lovely broken nose for me and black eyes ! He eventualy got better but was always a handful. Unfortunately due to back tracking from a so called friend ( after having mare for 14 months ), I gave them both back to her, which she promptly sold and pocketed all the money. So there went all my vet bills, agistment and feed bills for the year ! OH Well.
Good Luck with your boy !

LB
30-01-05, 08:16 AM
"If you look at him while he is eating he wants to buck and kick."

I am making this up as I go with my first foal, also a colt, but just remember to treat him like a horse! Would you allow his mother to give you attitude? They are as polite and well mannered as you consistently INSIST they are ;-)

One time my colt laid his ears back when I came near his food, so I drove him off and picked up the food. Walked to another spot and put it down, allowing him to eat. More attitude and I drove him off again. Thankfully, he is not stupid and soon figured out that he was not going to get that food until he accepted my presence. Never had the problem again.

I thought he was cute when he offered his bum for a scratch, but I also realised that this was NOT the end of a horse I want to see first! So I don't allow him to offer his bum to me first but will only scratch him there as part of a whole body grooming. If I do "get bum" I clap my hands making contact at the end, if that makes sense. I am not hitting him, but the noise sends him on his way. Just be careful where you are standing when you send him off ;-)

Maybe you love him too much? Perhaps you need to "bully the bully" so he understands that YOU are alpha. I don't mean bash him up but just make him run away from you. Mine is very confident and would be in my face if I allowed it. Sometimes he gets a rub on the forehead, and sometimes I drive him off (usually by making a loud sound). He's getting the idea that sometimes I am friendly and offer scratches but sometimes I chase him or give him a little scare. This seems to be working so far as he is starting to ask permission to come into my space, and is generally more respectful.

FWIW, this is working for me.....so far!