PDA

View Full Version : Weaning Age?

tblover
19-01-05, 10:30 AM
Hi,
Is it ok to wean before 6 months if you have to? My foal is growing at a huge rate and is 3 months old, but the mares udder is slowly getting smaller and smaller, and shes not letting her drink as much as she was. The foal is strong and healthy and is eating her mums hard feed and drinking water. I was thinking maybe of weaning her as soon as it looks like the mare is drying up. But is this ok to do if happens before 6 months...

sooki
19-01-05, 03:47 PM
Sure. A lot of people wean foals at 3 - 4 months. I usually leave mine with mum until 8 - 9 months. Good idea to make sure you have an older sensible horse to put baby with - do not have her alone. Even if the mare dries up you can leave the foal with her, just make sure you are handling it. They are very strong even at a young age.

tblover
19-01-05, 06:37 PM
yep, will be going out with a 2yr filly. Yes shes been handled since birth (not all the time) but she can be caught, haltered, rugged, legs picked up, wormed, led tie up etc. She has had this all done by me in little slots ie 5minutes here and there as shes going to a family of kids ( they own her im just babysitting her and mum, as they didnt know nothing about foaling)

sooki
20-01-05, 03:23 AM
Sounds like you come from my school of 'foal torture'. I advocate many very short sessions rather than fewer long ones. Good luck with bub.

Vixen
26-01-05, 03:26 PM
Hi Guys,
We breed between 10 and 30 foals each year and have weened as early as 4mths for different reasons ie this year we had a mare die 3hours after foaling so we took the oldest foal off her mum and she took the young baby on ( she is a honey) and the older foal has never looked back. she was eating hard feed with her mum and we just upped the amount she was getting and gave her some milk powder with it, no problems with anyone thank goodness.

thanks,
Jacqui

Taff
29-01-05, 01:32 AM
Can you tell us why the foal needs to be separated from his mum. Is there a reason?

Alison_21
02-02-05, 04:20 AM
It sounds like the mare is weaning the foal herself. If the mare is not suffering I would not worry about it. The foal is obviously doing ok.

pagan
02-02-05, 04:57 AM
Yes, When the foal is weaned it needs to be weaned physically and psychologically from its mother. Otherwise you will not be able to do anything with either of them because they need to be 'stuck' together all the time. Baby needs to grow up and become independent and be able to focus on humans when and if required.

trisha Cummings
07-01-06, 01:44 AM
help i am in England have realised my dream of owning and andalucian which i imported in foal she is now 6 months i recently tried to put them in two next door stables and they were hysterical have had horses all my life but never bred a foal i invested everything into these horses have a paddock and stable 3 miles away from where they are currently but put everything i had into these horses and am so afraid of trying to box mare or foal away to separate them any advice would be gratefully received

>Hi Guys,
> We breed between 10 and 30 foals each year and have weened
>as early as 4mths for different reasons ie this year we had
>a mare die 3hours after foaling so we took the oldest foal
>off her mum and she took the young baby on ( she is a honey)
>and the older foal has never looked back. she was eating
>hard feed with her mum and we just upped the amount she was
>getting and gave her some milk powder with it, no problems
>with anyone thank goodness.
>
>thanks,
>Jacqui

Nancy B.
09-03-06, 04:59 AM
Hello all,

My mare had a surprise foal in October. The colt is big and healthy.

I was planning on weaning him at about 7 months and maybe putting one of my other well-behaved mares with him. Is that a good idea? I do not have access to any other foals to put him with.
I was just reading an article about sole foals and how they do not develop good/adequate herd behaviors if they are only around adults. The idea being that adults will tolerate crowding, nipping, eating out of same bowl, etc. which are all bad behaviors for living in a herd. They say that if they are put with a foal close to the same age, they will duke it out and learn about personal space, etc, etc.

My question is: Am I going to have a terror of a horse if I raise him with only adults?

Any ideas?
-Nancy

shaiarabs
09-03-06, 05:44 AM
He will be absolutely fine in with adults mate. Pall foal up with the aunt or uncle you want them in with before you take mum away.

then when the time comes leave baby in the paddock it knows(or it will go through fence as it wont know new fences)with uncle/aunt feed uncle/aunt and baby and walk mum away mum needs to be well out of reach from baby too they will feed through fence hehe. if mum can be out of earshot and sight even better.

well this is how ive done it and no probs at all.
good luck
Lieslhttp://www.freewebs.com/shaiarabs/
"Words that soak into your ears are whispered ..... not yelled!"

Nancy B.
11-03-06, 11:47 PM
Thanks shaiarabs!

So you've had no problems with foals growing up to be ignorant of horses "personal space", pecking order, etc? His aunts and uncles don't seem to get after him when he crowds them or bites at them. He's already so pushy!

Well I guess I'll give it a try at about 7 months. I'll let you know how it goes!
Thanks again,
-Nancy

shaiarabs
12-03-06, 03:41 AM
My stallion was alone from the age of 9 and half weeks mate I know exactly what happens. I failed him in not having any company for him at all. Just dont let him get away with Any little things as they are the ones that become big ones. And if he is that much of a handfull now and he is going to be a gelding I would do it now rather than later. As long as there is 2 there he can be done.

If he is pushy with the other horses thats their problem, Believe me as it gets bigger they will assert more. But if he is pushy with you assert yourself more he is playing you.

I have weaned at 9 and half weeks the youngest one and 4 months and 5 months but I do have arabs I think if I had a larger breed I might go the 4 months as a rule unless they have health problems. And all of mine are trained to be groomed, feet, tie-up etc so if they are on mum or not they are under my control already.

in the end mate its a personal choice as to WHEN you would like to do it. I left my last one on for 5 months as she had some health issues that she needed her mum for a touch longer. Again personal choice.

good luck with your baby mate they are an adventure
Liesl
http://www.freewebs.com/shaiarabs/
"Words that soak into your ears are whispered ..... not yelled!"

... Taff
26-05-10, 01:21 PM
.... will this post after all this time?

ETA I didn't realise this was in Cyberfoal.