PDA

View Full Version : Orphaned filly

daisy mae
18-04-05, 06:32 PM
I do believe the subject says it all. We have a beautiful palomino filly that born on April 11th. My question is how can we fatten her up. We have unsuccessfully tried to locate a "wet nurse" and are feeding Foalac on a 3 hour feeding schedule. I realize that it may take time to fatten her up with the replacer, however, we don't want to stunt her growth either. We presently have her on Foalac. We have her trained to drink out of a bucket and drinks till the last drop. A friend of ours is a FastTrack dealer and thought this may be beneficial. We could really use some help! Thanks!

Mary M. Beiswanger
D & M Farm

ponychick
19-04-05, 03:10 AM
Hi I had 2 orphan foals 2 years ago and I was told by the vet to feed them Di-Vetelact as its got all the goodies in it that wont upset there stomach and when that start to cost to $$$$ I slowly change there milk to Daisy vite which is the only calf milk you can give a foal , I also feed them breed and grow pellets which is really good for them . I have kepted one of those foals and she is now 2 year old and she doesnt have that pot belly on her like a bucket reared calf gets
Most vets stock Di-vetelact and some feed stores
I hope this has helped you

ponychick
19-04-05, 03:18 AM
sorry in my last msg i meant to say wet the breed and grow pellets down at this age so they are like a mash they get to love

daisy mae
21-04-05, 03:09 AM
Thanks so much for all your help! We really appreciate it! She just looks so darn scrawny! Now I have to give her lubricating enemas daily for a few days to get her going... the replacement has got her all bound up! We try to push water, she is not real happy with that!
Mary

Len
28-04-05, 11:56 PM
Where are you located? There are Nursemares around if you want one.

lindsey
29-04-05, 08:03 PM
I lost my mare a week ago I know how you feel, my filly is 16 days old. Give her time as long as she is drinking. I have my foal on a mixture of 2% cows milk and 50% dextrose she get 40ml per 1 liter she drink every 2 an a half hours and is starting foal lac pellets today. I don't know if it is cold where you are from but maybe put a foal sheet on her because there body uses energy to keep warm. if I can be of any helf e-mail me or call me 207 725-6189

Mary
07-05-05, 06:20 PM
Lindsey,
Please send email so I can forward you photos of Lainey.
Thanks!
Mary

filly/ lindsey
10-05-05, 05:57 PM
my e-mail is lindsey_gallant@hotmail.com I would love to see pictures!!

Neisje
27-05-05, 06:09 AM
I use a foal replacent milk made by Wombaroo Food Products. And my advise would be to ignore all the direction for amounts that any of the milk replacers tell you, let the foal tell you how much it needs! If it is underweight it isn't getting enough. I have been lucky in the past that I found foster mares, but last year when I lost a mare I couldnt (actually found 2 but both wouldnt accept him) and what I did was start him off (he was a week old) getting fed every hour, at the hospital (where the mare died) the vets had him on 700 mls every 3 hours he was very listless and not gaining weight, by the end of the week of having him home he was on 1 litre ever hour, and gradually I increased the amount and decreased the number of feeds. By the time he was nearing being ready to wean he was getting about 20 litres a day, I then swapped and started decreasing the amount and leaving the feeds the same space apart (he was getting 3 feeds a day at this stage). So it can be very expensive! Another vet also suggested adding dry milk powder to his feed for him she said it will help him keep up the fat content. He actually prefered to eat hay. To start off we set up a creep feeder so he could access his hay and feed without his two buddies (2 yearling fillies) getting to it, and he had access to feed 24 hours a day. The hay was grass hay and clover hay as I find lucerne is a bit too hard for babies to eat. The feed was breeda pellets and chaff and I later introduced Hygain Grotorque. We fed him his milk in the feeder also so he was happy to go in there. By the time he was a few weeks old he was not going into the feeder anymore as he was sharing with the girls. So we just made sure they had hay all the time and gave them hard feed twice a day making sure we stood gaurd on him so he got to eat his fill. He has never developed the 'Pot belly' look and has always been healthy and in very good condition.

One thing that my colt did, and the vet said this was fine, was he would often leave the milk and come back to it when it had gone cold, he was happy to drink it cold, so we would set the bucket up so it was hanging about chest height from the fence, this made it easy to feed as we would just hang up the bucket and leave him and we could see him from the house so if he was hanging around his bucket around the time of his next feed you knew he was hungry, if he still had milk left over we would leave him a bit longer before the next feed and if he did want it he happily drank the cold milk. It also meant we could go out for a bit and not be tied to the house all day, as we could feed him extra milk and then be out for the next feed and he would have milk when he wanted it.

Good luck with her!

Neisje

>I do believe the subject says it all. We have a beautiful
>palomino filly that born on April 11th. My question is how
>can we fatten her up. We have unsuccessfully tried to locate
>a "wet nurse" and are feeding Foalac on a 3 hour feeding
>schedule. I realize that it may take time to fatten her up
>with the replacer, however, we don't want to stunt her
>growth either. We presently have her on Foalac. We have her
>trained to drink out of a bucket and drinks till the last
>drop. A friend of ours is a FastTrack dealer and thought
>this may be beneficial. We could really use some help!
>Thanks!
>
>Mary M. Beiswanger
>D & M Farm

Lindsey
03-06-05, 03:15 PM
How is your Baby doing?? I will sent you some pictures of mine if you give me a address because my computer is not working right Lindsey_gallant@hotmail.com
Lindsey

lorraine
12-08-05, 07:56 AM
I have an orphan this year too, born early in July, Mum died after 4 days so kid had his colostrum. Now 6 weeks old and doing great! He started on veanavite (calf and kid) milk, straight out of bucket, some extra goodies, plus veanavite pellets made into mush. Now just on one milk feed a day and eating hard feeds of pellets, oats, lupin and lucerne chaff. Nibbling at grass all day too.

His only prob now is he has to learn some horse manners, although he goes out with pregnant aunties all day, he prefers to follow me around, and I have to be grumpy old mare from time to time if he gets a bit boisterous too close!