PDA

View Full Version : foal has died

perrin
16-09-05, 01:40 AM
hi all
my mare lost a foal during the night. and am just wondering what to do to help my mare out.
she has been checked over and we have already disposed of the foal as she seemed ready to leave it, and she hasn't fussed to much. she is obviously a bit upset still though.
can anybody reccommend anything that might help her through this?
thanks

Stuart Little
16-09-05, 03:21 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss Perrin, it's never a nice thing to see our animals going through so much pain.

Once the mare has realised that the foal is dead, she will stay with it for a short while (12 -18 hrs depending on the mare) then will leave it.

I probably would have let her stay with the foal a bit longer so she could have grieved a bit more.

Try and stay around her as much as you can, give her lots of attention and cuddles. Make sure you keep her nice and warm and keep the feed up to.

Does she have a paddock or stable buddy ? Maybe pop someone in the same/next paddock aswell as they seem to cope better in herds.

All the best and let us know how she gets on.

tanis2perrin
16-09-05, 03:42 AM
thanks stuart little.
she has a paddock pal with foal at foot, so you can imagine she's not being very receptive. she is fine with the mare, but chases the foal away.
i'm hoping she will come round as her friend is a little distressed by it all too. :(
but i haven't wanted to seperate them.

my husband disposed of the baby this morning as he was worried about flies and infections. i wanted to leave it longer but she had already left it anyway.

tingles
16-09-05, 09:26 AM
How sad. My only suggestion is would it be worth you milking her & freezing her colostrum? You never know when you or someone you know might need it for a baby.
Sorry for your (including the mare) loss.