PDA

View Full Version : Effects of medicine

Reilly (Guest)
24-07-01, 08:05 AM
My 9mnth colt has just been gelded. The first 5 days of recovery went well, but it "closed up" early and so became infected. He is now on antibiotics and bute (oral paste). After 2 days of treatment he is much better, but I have noticed that he is a bit constipated and is not gulping down his much loved dinner and breakfast and not finishing it either. Should I be worried? What can I do regards the constipation? He is moving around well and being lunged 15mins a day on vet advice. I'm also concerned that he is going to start hating me squirting revolting tasting things down his neck all the time and stuff up all the trust we've developed. Any help appreciated!!

Looksthgoods
24-07-01, 08:21 AM
Dehydration can occur in these situations, especially when the horse does not drink adequately. Lack of water not only leads to dehydration but also to impaction or constipation. So get plenty of water into him.

Lorraine
24-07-01, 11:34 AM
I would recommend some protexin too, when he has finished his antibitoics, to re-establish his good tummy bugs. I use it after every wormer, antibiotic, stressful event, move paddocks, everything!

P (Guest)
24-07-01, 11:54 AM
I don't want this to sound like any sort of advert, but can someone tell me more about this protexin stuff? Sounds like something every horse owner should have.

rappie (Guest)
24-07-01, 12:23 PM
protexins advertised in our small animal clinic as "take home care" or something.....i havent really looked into it but i htink its like us eating acidophilus and bifidus cultures in yoghurt - its meant to reestablish good gut flora (since antibiotics tend to be a bit ruthless with which bacteria they kill). It's available over the counter but im not sure how you'd administer it, without either squirting it or hiding powder in food, but it might be worth looking into.

cheers,
rappie

imported_bill
24-07-01, 12:29 PM
Protexin is excellent stuff. We had a badly scouring mare last summer and Protexin stopped it in 24 hours. Its a probiotic (opposite of antibiotic). Antibiotics kill everything including the "good" bacteria that a horse's (and ours) gut need to operate properly. A course of antibiotics can really stuff a horse's digestion and Protexin is a very good way to restore normal digestive function.

Its made by International Animal Health. Their web site is here at Cyberhorse at [http://www.cyberhorse.net.au/iah].

Re your horse's "gelding" problem. Its quite important that the wound be kept open as it heals from the inside out. It sounds ghastly but running your finger along the wound to keep it open is a good way to stop it closing over prematurely and causing the infection you are concerned about. Its probably more a collection of pus and serum leaking from the wound that can't escape than a real infection, but the effects are the same as any other large cut left untreated.

The exercise is important because it helps to prevent the horse "seizing up" behind. When this happens he becomes so sore that he can't exercise. This exercise actually helps to keep the wound open so it can drain properly. Don't worry, it will heal soon enough.

horseproblems
24-07-01, 12:46 PM
Reilly,

A good clue is to put your horse in with an A.d.d. child who will hassle the hell out of him. Then you don't even have to lunge him. Dehydration kills lots of horses via colic and we feed electolites if in doubt, bran mash, 50 ml of berg oil if really worried and Vet attendance if you are still. You should always take your horse's temp if in doubt and always have that ready for when you phone your vet. 37.5 is normal, over 38.5 start worrying. Golden rule for colic,,,, 'HORSES THAT TIE UP PROPERLY, DON'T GENERALLY DIE OF COLIC." Reason, they can never roll. We tied one up for two days and two nights until we got a bucket of stones up to 12mm out of him.

Cheers

wc (Guest)
24-07-01, 04:30 PM
Please don't run your finger along the wound unless you are wearing a sterile glove. Great way to introduce infection. A collection of pus indicates infection is already present.
You are better off getting some sterile saline and using a syringe to squirt it into the cavity if there is one.And if he'll let you.
There is a product called insite (sp?) gel specifically made for wounds that have a cavity in them.

sham (Guest)
25-07-01, 12:10 AM
Have attended literally hundreds of geldings along the lines suggested by Bill. Problems usually arise with gelding through ill informed people. You have to be cruel to be kind. The wound has to be kept clean everyday, the horse has to be able to drain freely (healing from the inside out). Hosing, exercise, general post operative caring. The horse will not appreciate having his wound cleaned and usually more than one experienced handler is required. The horse will not want to move (would you) however, lunging in a relatively dust free environment, being led, or even being ridden works wonders. Only time a vet had to revisit was when a horse would not stop bleeding - good ending. The only time antibiotics and full on vet care required was when called in for post op care of a horse that had virtually been left to fend for itself in a stable. Hope never to see again, but eventually the horse came through. Just had to go back to step one.

Reilly (Guest)
25-07-01, 07:53 AM
Thanks for all advice. His droppings are a little better today -and he ate all his breaky. I will continue to make sure he stays active (he plays with his mate alot). I am a little concerned though as his wound has closed up again (the vet opened it up when he came out) and I'm not the sort of person that can stick my finger in... BUT I am hosing and exercising and keeping my fingers crossed!!!!