PDA

View Full Version : Lusitano's, Andalusions etc

md
14-07-09, 04:39 PM
Ok call me a dope but i don't know much about these horses are they one and the same? I don't think they are but similar, did a google search wasn't all that helpfull.

Reading a lot about the suitability of these for the amatuer rider, and how comfortable they are and just want some more info on them, and whether those that ride other breeds but have ridden them agree that that are easier and more comfortable.

cheers

Autumn
14-07-09, 05:56 PM
Both are closely related. Andalusian is from southern Spain where as the Lusitano is from Portugal. Both breeds where used as war horses for battles between Spain and Portugal so are very similar.

Personally, I love both breeds. One of the best horses I eve saw was an Andalusian x TB - he was a truley magnificent animal. Have you watched the working horse comp for Portugese horses on youtube?

frogfriday
14-07-09, 06:08 PM
The Spanish don't call them andalusians any more, due to politics (it was felt that the name gave a marketing advantage to breeders in Andalucia, as opposed to the rest of Spain). Nowadays, an Andalusian may be a part bred, or it may be a pure bred that is not registered in Spain.

Spanish horses and Lusitanos are very similar - the Spanish incorporated their stud book around 1912, and the Portuguese started their own studbook in 1967 (from memory,
don't hang me if i'm wrong...). Many horses in both 'breeds' still share similar bloodlines.

I'm possibly biased, as I have chosen to breed PREs (Spanish horses that are registered in Spain, and have to undergo at minimum a basic approval process before being bred).

I've found the breed to be fantastic to deal with. They are generally extremely intelligent, very kind and extraordinarily willing. They seem to generally want to work with you, and will actively try to figure out what you are wanting, and try their best to do it for you. They also tend to be pretty brave.

I've mostly been breaking and then riding the horses during my holidays over the past couple of years, and I've found them to be easy and comfortable to ride (and train). They seem to be very aware of their riders and surroundings (in a good way).

Whilst they can be very food motivated, they will often prefer to spend time with people than their food (sometimes one will be a bit torn - running to snatch a mouthful before coming back for attention).

I've found that they seem to be born 'respectful' - dealing with WB foals after working with the PRE foals can be a bit trying...

Other breeds that I've had a fair bit of experience with are arabs, TBs and WBs.

md
14-07-09, 07:00 PM
Thanks for that, I currently breed warmbloods, have mainly ridden arabs and tb's and stock horses prior, and I keep hearing how comfortable the Lusitano/Spanish horses are and just wondered if they were that different compared to other breeds, maybe I need to have a ride on one and compare my self.

Love my warmbloods to bits but being 5ft, old with a bad back I am interested in perhaps looking at these as an alternative for me (not the OH he is younger, taller and fitter lol)

Will do some research, my vet breeds them so perhaps i should ask her politely to come see them and maybe just maybe she might offer me a sit :-)

cheers

Bats_79
14-07-09, 07:22 PM
The reason that the Lusitano / Pre is "more comfortable" is explained very well in this months THM md. The Iberian horse has been bred without the emphasis on "travelling" paces where the elasticity of the back and the trot and canter is important for the soundness of the horse as has been with the wb and the tb.

Instead the Iberian horse has been bred to be able to move very quickly after cattle and over difficult terrain without traumatising the rider so they are much sharper with their legs but stiller with their backs. And the back is supportively strong.

So the "average" warmblood has a softer bouncier back but can be strung out and the "average" Iberian horse has more collected paces but doesn't give and use the back as well as needed for competition paces.

kccrazy
14-07-09, 08:08 PM
Interesting thread - I have a rising 3, Andy x who I plan to have started under saddle next Winter. Am interested in what those with Andies say about their gaits too. Do they generally have a trot that's comfortable to sit to?

Kc

Anubis
14-07-09, 09:54 PM
I have a PRE x WB I started last year...I love him! Feisty, gentle, handsome, honest, loving, always up for a game like a child. Oh he can also jump and move. Top horse am looking at the Iberian horses for his next friend too :)

Just love them, do not think you can go past....

Anubis

md
14-07-09, 10:30 PM
Yep read the article Bats and also read the article in the latest Horse and Pony (NZ publication) called 'Anti dressage' it was these two articles that made me pose the question but i wanted the opinion of someone who actually owns and rides these horses, i understood what the THM article was saying, makes sense. But call me skeptical re magazine articles :-)

I was just interested from a personal perspective really.

thanks

KASSIE
15-07-09, 02:19 PM
I have a Andalusian/Stock Horse cross although she looks like a purebred. She is 6 years old and the most loving and delightful horse to work with. She loves cuddles loves FOOD and is extremely comfortable. Her trot is very easy to sit too and she is very balanced.
I love her to bits!!! They are wonderful horses.....

chipsy1
18-07-09, 06:01 PM
I like Iberian Horses a lot and yes they are indeed very 'comfortable' to sit. With many Iberian horses that I have ridden it's like sitting on a sofa actually and for someone with back problems definitely an option I think. However, I wouldn't say that they have stronger backs than the comparatively longer Warmbloods because the problem is that because these horses look to be naturally in a beautiful frame already and because their backs are short it is not so easy (for the average rider) to build up muslces in their back. Also I find it much easier to feel whether I am riding a Warmblood properly over the back than an Iberian horse. Well yes, the back of many Iberian horses is shorter, however, whether it's really stronger? I am not sure about that. But yeah in terms of sitting comfort and termperament they are very nice horses. Whether they are easier to ride than Warmbloods? Mmh, there I am really a bit torn. They SEEM to be easier to ride but now that I am riding Warmbloods again (not by choice, more change of circumstances) I question whether I was really riding the Iberian horses properly or whether they were just naturally in their lovely frame but not working correclty from behind into the bit. They certainly learn quickly, however, that goes for the good and the bad. Some of them are also quite 'hot' so at least for the Lusitanos that depends very much on the type of Lusitano that you are going for. There are several bloodlines and there are considerable differences between them. Just go and try out riding them if you get the chance.