PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question

Lydia
24-08-09, 03:58 PM
Hi

I have had a new feed regime recommended. Some of the ingrediants included Barley (me to prepare) Sunflower Seeds, FFsoy, skim milk powder, small amount of brewers yeast, Linseed oil and lucerne and oaten chaff.

Does anyone have any experience feeding these ingrediants?

Also i have been feeding Olive oil but was told this heats horses up - does anyone know if this is true or not?

My horse is a TB gelding (12yo) and currently has a paddock packed to the brim with grass and he gets meadow hay (of a V high quality) 2Xs a day.

PinyPot
24-08-09, 04:35 PM
I am assuming you are trying to fatten this horse? Im curious why you were recommended a new feeding regime? What is the horse getting now? and what is the problem with his current feed?

I love barley, I feed it to all mine. I feed the micro barley cuz I am too lazy to boil it though.

Oil and the full fat soy can both heat up a horse. But it can depend on the horse and how much work he is getting. I probably wouldn't bother with both the oils if it were me.

Cant help with the skim milk powder or brewers yeast never fed it.

Lydia
24-08-09, 05:08 PM
Thanks PP for the feedback. he is hard to keep weight on but looks in good condition at the moment. I would like to see a little bit more weight on him but he has also gotten really really hot from the spring grass lately.

I am currently feeding barastoc completo and M barley with wheaten chaff FFsoy and a small amount of oil mixed in. I was told that given this is a preprocessed and packaged feed also containing molasses its probably too much sugars for him. he is worked lightly 5Xs per week in dressage and some trail riding

The reason i was recommended the above is the lady has done a fair bit of research and believes that natural ingredients are better than processed feeds and allow you to monitor and change dosages according to the individual.

appreciate any thoughts or alternatives!

NikJ
24-08-09, 05:15 PM
Look at signing up for FeedXL - you can do a one day purchase. It breaks down the right feeds for your horse and I have found it invaluable - I was very suss about it. My olide is looking great and his feed costs have gone down as I was throwing too much and still not the right stuff at him.

You can also do the natural diet in this program.

PinyPot
24-08-09, 05:32 PM
Well I dont have much time ATM cuz I gotta go to work :( but just quickly I do tend to agree with the molasses, I don't like feeding it and hate when feed companies make their feeds with it. It might smell nice to me but I always think they are trying to cover up substandard feed with the molasses. Thats just the impression I get is all. Molasses can also heat some horses up too!

As I said i do like barley for all my horses so highly recommend that especially if you are trying to put weight on without the heat. i do like ff soy but as i said it can heat. But think hay, hay and more hay to fatten horses!! And horses need more roughage than anything. And dont forget KISS - Keep it simple sweetie - is the best idea IMO.

I am still not on the band wagon for skim milk powder. I know a few people that feed it but it just doesnt sit well with me to feed it as its not natural. *Shrugs* Im sure others can give you a better idea than me tho.

Also similar to what NikJ said, you can email most of the feed companies and they will let you know a good diet with their products for your horse. Then you can just pick and choose what you feel is good and will work for your horse. Just an idea anyway.

Good luck.

Neisje
24-08-09, 06:45 PM
Keep you feeds as simple as possible. FFS and Skim milk powder are both high protien, so you don't want/need both. I'd chose FFS over Skim Milk powder. Linseed oil and sunflower seeds are both fat and good for the coat, again you don't need both. And I'd prefer to feed sunflower seeds than linseed. If you prefer to add an oil rather than a grain, try sunflower oil instead or Rice Bran oil. Rice bran oil being the more nutritious.

My personal choice in feeding is lots of hay, good quality chaff and 1 or 2 grains (my choice would be oats first) and a good vitamin/mineral supliment or if you prefer a good pellet that supplies you with the necessary vitamins etc. And then add some good quality oil (rice bran or sunflower) if you want to add some fat.

Neisje

Barbelle
24-08-09, 07:34 PM
Our two TB mares (15.3 hh approx 480 kg & 15.2 hh approx 455 kg) have got into lovely condition and kept it on over winter on oaten chaff, lucerne chaff, (approx 6 litres of each per day), 200g oats per day (mainly for extra calcium), 100g cracked corn (keep the teeth grinding properly). In addition we feed pellets - approx 1.2 kg of nutririce allrounder (already has ricebran oil in it) and 1 kg Mitavite xtracool daily.

They are entirely hand feed - we have no pasture to speak of, just a little bit of green pick coming through in the last few weeks. (They are not in work but spend a fair amount of the day frolicking around with each other - horse games and races.)

I like the pellets because they (claim to) have scientifically balanced macronutrients and micronutrients such as vitamins and minerals - I feel confident the girls are getting everything they need and are not going to develop strange conditions due to nutritional deficiencies.

They also have constant access to a salt and mineral block.

Autumn
24-08-09, 07:53 PM
I to like a natural hay based diet. I feed lots of hay, whole soaked oats & barley, oaten chaff, sunflower seeds and rice bran. I like to know what is in my horses feed, something you cannot do with nuts/pellet feeds and I like to add my own vitamins and minerals.

I also feed a range of natural minerals plus brewers yeast, rosehips and ACV. Brewers yeast is good for gut function and also has B vitamins. You need to get a high quality brewers yeast for it to be any good and I get mine from http://www.countrypark.com.au as they are the only ones I have found that actually get the proper stuff. The cheap pale one is a waste of money as it does nothing.

Lydia
25-08-09, 09:57 AM
Hi

thanks for all the tips. I think i have gotten my head around what is needed now. It seems a first glance that there are so many ingrediants and variations plus some unusual things in there as well i wanted to make sure i wasnt being led astray.

Autumn
25-08-09, 10:30 AM
Feeding is the biggest nightmare because everyone will tell you something different. I like to keep things simple, which ususally keeps it affordable, and also natural.

I follow 'biologically appropriate' feeds - unprocessed things that horses will naturally eat. I do this for my dogs, chooks and ducks as well.