PDA

View Full Version : Hack Show How To???

shadowmystique
21-09-09, 11:02 AM
Hi Guys... Its been a long time since I was out competing and my friends have decided to drag me off to a hack show in a couple of weeks!

Only problem being... I don't know what I... and the Horse... should be wearing!

I'd like to keep it basic, but I'm not sure what the etiquette is for the various things...

Can I have a coloured saddle blanket?

Do I HAVE to wear cream/beige joddies? Are Black/tan joddies okay? (Much more flattering...)

What do I wear on top???

Does my horse have to wear a noseband? I don't usually use them at all...

Can I carry my dressage whip?

Are black gloves okay?

Can I use my black chappettes?
If not... what can I use instead?

Are english plaits okay? and do I have to do the tail or can I leave it loose... Is this a no no?

Sorry for all the questions guys, its just been so long and I don't want to show up on the day looking like a twit in the wrong gear!

Saskia
21-09-09, 11:12 AM
Its been ages since I did some (low level) hacking but I'll try and answer your questions.

Saddle blankets - I believe a lot of people use white numnahs (saddle shaped blankets) but you would probably be fine with just a plain white saddle blanket. People don't generally use coloured ones unless its a breed or registry specific thing.

Beige jodphurs are the way to go. Don't worry, everyone else is wearing them too!

Most people wear some kind of pale shirt underneath a hacking jacket. Generally people use black or navy jackets.

Most people use a noseband. A plain one doesn't cost much and doesn't effect the horses behaviour. Choose one that suits your horse, if you has a fine head choose a narrower band. Also, choose a flat styled one without a flash ring, instead of the raised ones.

I'm not sure on the dressage whip - I would check in the rules but I would say no.

I think black gloves would be fine for the level you are doing.

Chappettes are not used. Ideally you would use long boots or gaiters.

Plaits and rosettes are generally a go unless you have a coloured breed. If you do the main then you should do the tail.

Make you sure you and you horse are clean, and well presented. Clean all your tack and check your bit last minute!

Good luck.

Zampari
21-09-09, 11:34 AM
Can I have a coloured saddle blanket?
A fitted sheepskin numnah or half pad in black or cream is best. Can you borrow one from a friend? If not synthetic sheepskin is ok or if all else fails a white dressage saddlecloth is better than a coloured one.

Do I HAVE to wear cream/beige joddies? Are Black/tan joddies okay? (Much more flattering...)
Yes cream, beige or any other light colour eg banana etc. Definitely not black, navy or any other dark colour. They don't have to be sticky bums, normal jods are fine.

What do I wear on top???
Shirt with collar if you are wearing a tie. Ratcatcher style if you're wearing a stock.
Tie or stock
Hacking jacket. Navy is best is at it doesn't date and suits any coloured horse
EFA approved helmet preferably to match your jacket or if you only have a white helmet you can buy velvet covers to match your jacket from most horse stores.
Vest(optional)
Make sure the colours you choose all tone with each other. Nothing looks worse than very loud colours that stand out for all the wrong reasons.

Does my horse have to wear a noseband? I don't usually use them at all...
Doesn't have to but it's definitely preferable. A plain cavesson is best and won't worry your horse as they have no action other than to look pretty. A snaffle bridle is fine if that's what you usually ride in. Don't be daunted by everyone else riding in pelhams or doubles.

Can I carry my dressage whip?
If you want, but a hacking cane is best if you need to carry a whip, otherwise no whip is fine.

Are black gloves okay?
Yes!

Can I use my black chappettes?
If not... what can I use instead?
By chappettes I'm assuming you mean the suede style rather than gaiters. Chappettes are not suitable for the hack ring. Gaiters are as are top boots. If you don't want to purchase gaiters or own a pair of top boots, just ride in your joddy boots.

Are english plaits okay? and do I have to do the tail or can I leave it loose... Is this a no no?
English plaits are great. Remember to sew them though, don't use lacky bands as they don't produce a nice look. Plaiting or pulling/clipping the tail is best. If you don't want to clip/pull the tail and you can't plait a tail well don't do it as there is nothing worse than a badly plaited tail, it is far better to leave it out. Remember to trim/bang the bottom for a nice finished look. Straggly tail ends don't look great. Remember to clip a bridle and saddle path, shave whiskers and clip all other excess hair too. Make sure your horse is very clean and all his white socks etc glow. It's best to clip out your socks a few days before, wash them with a whitening shampoo the day before and then use a chalk block to whiten socks on the day.

If you can get to a show for a look before you go to yours would be great. Horse Deals is a great mag for looking at pics of show horses and seeing how they're dressed(riders and horses).

shadowmystique
21-09-09, 11:36 AM
Bugger... I love my chappettes! And I can't find long boots to fit my calves :( Guess I'm going to have to go chap-less then

Do I HAVE to wear a jacket? Its stinking hot up here in QLD already and I'd like to just be able to wear a shirt, don't mind getting a nice white one for it but a jacket seems like a great expense for what will possibly be a one off... No one to borrow from because my boobs are too big :)
I'm much more into jumping...

I've got a nice black cotton numnah I can use so thats fine and I can probably pick up a pair of cream(ish) joddies on sale.

I much prefer the look of the sewn english plaits, banded plaits never look quite right!
Might have to practice with the tail :)

Thankfully my horse will have no white to worry about :)

ScottishSazzy
21-09-09, 03:11 PM
OMG, where? when? I have to come watch! How exciting! Let's take Billy hahah, or not....

shadowmystique
21-09-09, 03:19 PM
Lol, perhaps you should, its in 2 weeks at jimboomba pony club on the sunday... Not confirmed if I'm going yet but I'll let you know after the weekend :D

reveleus
21-09-09, 07:02 PM
Hi Shadow,

I'm in Central Queensland and it gets crazy hot here. You will still need a jacket unfortunately. You can buy cooler ones now, thank god.

I know we have had such hot days up here that the judge will sometimes allow you to take your jacket off, but it's really the judges discretion.

Your black cotton numnah will be fine.

Just have a great time and we can't wait to hear your results.

Zampari
22-09-09, 11:52 AM
I'm in SEQ too so I know it's been a bit warm lately. The removal of your jacket is at the judges discretion otherwise yes you have to wear one. You will notice all the top riders will wear a jacket regardless of what the judge says. I just love doing the Darling Downs ag show circuit in the February and March heat. Have no idea what possessed them to put ag shows on in the middle of summer. QLD the smart state? Yeah right!!

shadowmystique
22-09-09, 12:03 PM
Hmmm... Could I get away with wearing a business jacket? I have a decent tailored one that might work?

Saskia
22-09-09, 12:44 PM
I've been to some shows where most people wear vests over a white shirt. If its just a casual hack show or something they might go with that. Give them a call if you are concerned and they can probably advise you on the best course of action.