PDA

View Full Version : Is there a 'best' time to sell a horse?

PIAS
28-10-09, 01:59 PM
We are looking at selling TD's beautiful TB that we bought last year as he is just not quite got what it takes to get her up the eventing ladder :(
He will make (and is) an exceptional juniors/Interschool mount.
Is toward the end of the year - like now - the better time to advertise? Is this the time of year when people are looking at upgrading their teenagers mounts for the coming year? Or is everyone too busy thinking about Xmas/holidays/end of year comps etc?
Is it coming to what some say is the 'quiet' time of the year for selling horses? Our local Horseland still had 8 copies of Octobers HD's left 2 days ago. Usually they have sold them all before the month is halfway through..........
Cheers
PIAS

SweetxSavannah
28-10-09, 02:44 PM
Not really... but it is easier in spring when you're far enough away from Christmas, but close enough to daylight savings. Or maybe January/February when people are just starting pony club etc.

I advertised my horse in October but ended up finding a buyer in a December advert so go figure! There's no rules, if the right person is looking at the right time then... it'll sell!

DO
28-10-09, 02:49 PM
I have actually found Jan to be a good time as people are over Xmas, on Holiday mode and have the time to look.

kokage
28-10-09, 02:52 PM
I don't think there is any good or bad time. It is just luck. People want certain horses at a certain time in their lives, and this is not necessarily going to be influenced by the seasons...particularly here in Australia.

Bad Bones
28-10-09, 02:53 PM
Hi Pias,
This time of year is not the best time to try & sell.
August/September are good but after that it's better to wait until the new year - Feb is usually a good time to start advertising in publications or mid Jan if using websites.

BB

kokage
28-10-09, 03:01 PM
What, the horse world shuts down for a quarter of the year? Maybe in FNQ or NT....

I know that I don't really like to go and look at horses in Winter. You don't see them to their best advantage, it can be dark, cold and windy. This time of year is when horses are more likely to have been out to some competition, have a good coat, and be in work.

Minx4
28-10-09, 06:59 PM
i was always told it was jan/feb/march....when it was still warm and a lot of the clubs have rego but if you have a western horse its the oct/nov so there is plenty of time to send it to a trainer before the big shows mid next year....just what i was told but ive never had to sell a horse...

PIAS
28-10-09, 09:54 PM
This time of year is when horses are more likely to have been out to some competition, have a good coat, and be in work.
I agree with you there kokage and the horse world does pretty much shut down for about 3 months over summer til about February.......which is why my dilemma. If I advertise him in say next months HD's then he may have to be readvertised for another 2-3 months :( Or not.
I guess it's about knowing what area of the market you are aiming at. But if you are looking for a 'new' horse for the new year then shouldn't you advertise the 'old' one at the end of the previous year? :confused:
Cheers