PDA

View Full Version : Venice turps, any old wives?

Lorraine
26-08-01, 10:44 AM
And old fashioned remedy for applying to feet for poulticing, it is sticky and awful to use, but what is it and does it work?

retired (Guest)
26-08-01, 11:18 AM
It worked when there was nothing better Lorraine. An Epsom salt poultice or soaking in washing soda works much better. Packing the foot with Epsom salta and then packing a wet Animalintex over the top would draw the eye out of a needdle. Several times the Epsom salts and Animalintex got a horse of mine in to the ring at a Royal when they became a little tender footed working on the abrasive sand of the exercise arenas.

Vanny (Guest)
26-08-01, 11:20 AM
This is great stuff to draw an abscess out of a hoof. Don't know what it is as the bottle is safely tucked away in the stables-
It is incredible sticky stuff, but that seems to help it stay where you put it!
The abscess only takes one day to come out after using it. I got my small bottle from Saddleland 3 yeras ago and still have heaps left.
Vanny

bowerbird (Guest)
27-08-01, 09:50 AM
Hi Lorraine, Venice Turps is excellent, I don't know what it is made of, but it works. Yes, it is really sticky goo, but it draws out abscesses and stone bruises really quickly.

A great idea to get a jar and keep it with the stuff you take to shows, ideal to smear on when you have a horse that gets foot sore.

It does more or less stay where you put it, but if you are really conscy you can put a bandage over it. Good luck, LOL.