PDA

View Full Version : Natural Calming Products

Interested (Guest)
28-08-01, 11:20 AM
Has anyone used WHISPER by SweetMeadow? How well does it really work? I have a young horse who gets a bit tense at times and have tried other products with not much luck.

Looksthgoods
29-08-01, 12:30 AM
Nervous or unsettled behaviour is often resolved by correcting Thiamine, Riboflavin, and Pyridoxine plus Magnesium, Vitamin E and Zinc levels in the diet. Mixed with the feed, Settle'em has a positive calming effect on the nervous system by elevating vitamin and mineral blood levels. Don't know about the other product mentioned.

Charlie (Guest)
29-08-01, 01:40 AM
Looksthgood - I see you are a fan of Settl'em from previous posts. Is it swabbable? I have used heaps of products that have claimed to calm nerves but not worked, what makes this one work? I have not tried yet. Your comments would be appreciated.

Looksthgoods
29-08-01, 01:50 AM
Charlie it is an all natural product & not swabbable. Can be used up to including race/event day. You need to use a load up dose for 10 days of 60g (2 scoops) with the feed for the first 10 days; then continue treatment as required at 30g (one scoop) per day mixed with the feed.

The feed back on the results of the product have been excellent.

Excitability is only one sign that may be corrected with supplementation with Settle'em . For horses on high grain diets, burning high levels of energy in training, Settle'em may also improve signs of flighty temperament, pulling hard, muscular twitching, diarrhea and apparent blindness. There is, however, no substitute for the skilled horse handler if temperamental traits are inherited or related to an accident or related to stomach ulcers.

Stomach Ulcers:

The clinical signs of stomach ulcers are often the same as those above. In fact horses with stomach ulcers often display unsettled behaviour. Consult your veterinary surgeon for advise on diagnosing ulcers, which may call for an Ulcer Test Kit.

Janettemaree (Guest)
29-08-01, 04:23 AM
I have tried and used with success a Microlab product called Rebound 3, (massive doses of antibacillum (spelt right?) Good for ulcers. I have also used Vallerian. Some good some bad reports. I think it suits certain horses. Stinks something powerful so no kissing the neddy goodnite that night and dont get it on you it tends to hang around. Rebound 3 is great to use when separating weanlings from the mum. I give it to both and nearly not so great stress levels. Especially with our fine little riding pony types not to mention the thoroughbreds.

newie (Guest)
29-08-01, 05:22 AM
reboundis a probiotic quite epnsive but also quite effective , found it better than protexin . I use Meadowswet Whisper on my young horses when they first start going out , works a treat , they don't become slugs though , and I have found that they stay alert but very calm if that makes sense.Hope this helps

Johnny B Good (Guest)
29-08-01, 06:12 AM
Hi, would love more info on Valerian, have heard it's good , but will return a positive swab.......any info would be appreciated..

Janettemaree (Guest)
29-08-01, 08:09 AM
Dont know if it is swabable but heaps use it. Easy to see by the smell. As far as I know taken in herbal form it should not be swabable. Can be obtained from the bendigo vetrinary services. Much cheaper to buy by a big bottle than in the health stores. Last time I bought it from there is was $55 for a 500ml bottle. Goes a long way.

stroudy
29-08-01, 09:52 AM
Can anyone give me a contact number for MeadowSweet?Pretty Please!!!!!

smiling (Guest)
29-08-01, 11:36 AM
stroudy , their number is 03 5627 6234 , haven't used the whisper but use heaps of other things with good results.

ab (Guest)
29-08-01, 02:06 PM
Have a look at hiform products they are very effective.
I have used herbe nerve plus which kicked in over night on a temperamental thoroughbred mare. I hear whisper is good but takes longer to act.

JH (Guest)
29-08-01, 09:56 PM
Just because a product is a herb does not mean it is not swabbable. You need to check re valerian as I do not think it is allowed for at least some competition.

stroudy
29-08-01, 11:11 PM
Can you please tell me more about the herbe nerve!!!Like where to get it and how much is the cost of it.

X1 (Guest)
29-08-01, 11:20 PM
I'd be really careful of the valerian option. Our TAFE class did a tour of the Racing Laboratories and the people there told us they were very well aware of the amount of valerian being administered. The only reason people haven't been getting nabbed for it is that the vet labs haven't yet had time to set the parameters for it as soon as they do, a lot of people are going to have red faces and lost prizes.
All of this self righteousness about "only using natural calmers" amuses me.
Your intent is to quieten a nervous horse, so if they get ace or valerian the intent is the same the only thing the herbal users are doing is trying to achieve the same result without getting labelled as dopers.
You ARE doping.. simple as that.

smiling (Guest)
30-08-01, 12:55 AM
X1 , it depends on where and how you use any calming product be it synthetic or natural. If you need to use it in competition then you possibliy should go home and do some more work , but in a training situation, it has to be beneficial as long as what you give the horse does not sedate , which means that when they are not on it they are still nervous.Do I make sense.Some horses are born uptight , or a bit like the hyperactive child.If an additive that can assit this type of horse to learn how to concentrate with the addition of positive handling , in my opinion by the time the horse is ready to face the world the only nerves should be the riders, until they win that blue:D or at least make it to the end of the ride:D

Looksthgoods
30-08-01, 02:11 AM
Your comments amuses me X1, often the case of nervous horses is due to an imbalance of certain vitamin groups. Haven't they taught you any of that in your TAFE class????

High doses of B Group vitamins, especially Vitamin B1, in combination with Vitamin E, Magnesium and Zinc, may assist in handling nervous or "flighty" horses and unruly stallions. Settle'em contains B Group vitamins, Vitamin E, Magnesium and Zinc in a palatable powder base.A safe, drug-free supplement.
MAY BE USED UP TO AND INCLUDING THE DAY OF AN EVENT!!!

Autumn
30-08-01, 02:24 AM
I agree with your post here Looksie, you have bought up an excellent topic here which I have read about alot and I agree with you.

In this day and age of mass monocluture of commerical feeds I believe that our pastures and feeds are not as good as they should be. I have been feeding vit and mineral suppliments for years.

stroudy
30-08-01, 02:34 AM
All your opinions are excellent.I personally want it for my 7yo gelding who is such a gem to take out to a comp but at home or on the roads he is a panic merchant.I want to ride out on trails and train with my young daughter and I do not need my boy shying and carrying on when I am riding with her so I thought the calmers may do the trick so that I can relax and ride with her.

Vanny (Guest)
30-08-01, 08:01 AM
Sootha is another good one to try. 30g per day. Vit B group and protexin for gut flora etc. Worked for my boy. Only used one course, got him over his initial fears in a calmish way and now he understands not every trip out is to a racetrack!!
Non swabable too.
Vanny

Polly (Guest)
30-08-01, 03:12 PM
I have also tried Valerian with different results on different horses. Worked on the Mare, but sent the Gelding crackers. This also has the same effect on humans ( about 5% ). spoke to a race horse trainer who recommended pure Thiamine (B1) I tried this and can only say that I now have totally calm and sensible horses. You feed 30 gms twice daily and I wouldn't be without it. Your local saddle shop could order it in for you, otherwise try a vet clinic (the price is normally dearer there) I paid $40.00 for 1kg at the saddlery, $80.00 at the vets!. Most of the calmer products have thiamine as their main ingredient, but found feeding it straight was a lot better plus cheaper.

Herbie (Guest)
30-08-01, 03:20 PM
Could someone please tell me how long it takes for these herbal products to kick in? And can you give more than the recommended amount to start off with to get things moving quicker or is this a big no no? My kids have a pony who has an absolute spak attack everytime his paddock mate leaves his side which gets a bit annoying when they need to go in separate directions!!!! And he is also very nervy at other times.

X1 (Guest)
30-08-01, 11:25 PM
Laugh away looks etc.. and learn to read.. it was the analyst at Racing Analytical Services that gave us the information -maybe you could take a TAFE class too.
Those needing vit B or other things would of course benefit, but it WON"T work on a nautrally nervous horse.
All you lot do is fill the pockets of the herbal companies and they laugh all the way to the bank.
Learn to read.

Looksthgoods
31-08-01, 12:11 AM
"All of this self righteousness about "only using natural calmers" amuses me.
Your intent is to quieten a nervous horse, so if they get ace or valerian the intent is the same the only thing the herbal users are doing is trying to achieve the same result without getting labelled as dopers.
You ARE doping.. simple as that."

This is your comment X1 that I find most amusing!!! My reading skills are quite okay, thanks! :-)

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

smiling (Guest)
31-08-01, 01:50 AM
what about the feed companies who produce the ""cool"" feeds to take the fizz out of your horse. As I said before if it helps a naturally nervous horse to attain a better level of control out of the ring or performance area then it has to be beneficial whether it is synthetic or natural , the advantage of natural is that it is gentle on the system. By the way XI B vit and herbal calmers are different , one is for deficiency the other helps settle the naturally uptight nervous system.Chamomile tea has been used for centuries for settling everyone from infants to elderly with thousands of studies done to prove that it is effective, the same can be said for VitB , it has been proven that Vit B deficiency can show as nervous behaviour in both humans and animals.
If you are shouting about enhancers in competition yes have to agree with you , it should be a level playing field ,but if you are having a shot at them in general use , think again.

Annoyed (Guest)
31-08-01, 11:53 AM
I don't care what anyone says, you can not compare herbal remedies to drugs. With drugs the horse is not really aware what is going on around it and will still be up tight the next time it is taken out without the drugs. Herbal is a long term solution to assist the horse with being able to keep its mind on the job. The horse is still totally aware but is able to cope just that bit better.

darley (Guest)
31-08-01, 12:25 PM
Calmer or Calm Down Drops (can't remember exact name) produced by Donna Morgan-Robinson are excellent, we use them on thoroughbreds in training, from 2yos to a 5yo stallion.